Knight MK85, My first ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R1200Rider

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I just registered in this site and here is my first post: I wanted to start ML shooting for some time as I moved in New Jersey, which does not allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting. I recently bought an used Knight MK85 50 cal rifle that appears to be in nice shape, blued steel barrel and what appears to be walnut stock. I didn't know much about the Knight or this particular rifle but the price was too good to pass. Anyways, I did some research but could not find much info on this rifle, other than it uses percussion caps instead of more common 209 shotshell primer. I was primarily looking for user manual PDF, how to disassemble, clean etc. Also I'd like to know what/how much powder and which projectile to use. All inputs are much appreciated!

Welcome to the site! :D Alot of great folks and info here, hope you stick around.

The MK-85 is a fantastic rifle. They are very dependable, accurate, excellent fit and finish, and just a top quality rifle. Field and Stream rated it one of the top 50 rifles (of any kind) ever made. I can email you a owners manual, pm me your email address. There is alot of info on this site about the older Knights... use the search feature here.

Regarding the rifle...did you get a breechplug combo tool with it? I am assuming it has a #11 nipple and a slotted breechplug. The combo tool is used to remove both the nipple and BP. That tool and either 1 or 2 Allen wrenches are all you need for disassembly. The older rifles had a set screw in the side of the receiver that req'd a small allen for that, otherwise the one allen will work for everything.

Many folks here have and love the MK's. I have had many, still have 4. I use the #11 ignition in mine...it is a great design and works flawlessly. I've never had a misfire or hangfire in mine in almost 25yrs. I prefer the RWS 1075 caps... they are tight on the nipple and a little hotter than some of the others. But any #11 cap should work if you can't find those. Winchester, CCI, etc.

I have used the 209 ignition in my MK's... there was basically zero advantage with that system, imo. All mine have #11 now. As for powder, most folks use Pyrodex or T7. You can also use real black and a number of other subs. It is NOT recommended to use BH209 in the plunger rifles. I use pyrodex RS in mine, it shoots very accurately and consistently.

They have a 1:28 twist and with 90-100gr powder will typically shoot most 240-260gr saboted bullets very accurately. I would suggest looking at some .452 XTP's to start out with. They are fairly inexpensive, typically accurate, and have a good reputation performance wise. I personally shoot Speer Deep Curls, but they are currently unavailable. The Knights will also shoot full bore conicals well... a number of folks here use those, but I'd say more shoot lighter bullets with sabots.

I use grease on my breechplug...applying an even layer on all the threads before installing and I have never had an issue with removing it, even after over 50 shots. Some folks use teflon tape. I've never tried it on my MK's, but do use tape on some of my other rifles that I shoot BH209 in. If you plan to use a scope, keep in mind that with the open breech design you will get some blowback. It is recommended to cover your scope between the rings, to keep it from being burned. I personally wrap my scope with electrical tape. Some folks have made "Bra's" out of felt, rubber, etc. Something to protect the flash burn from the blowback.

You didn't say if you had any experience with a ML or not. Regardless, there is plenty to learn and alot of guys with a ton of great info here. Ask away :D Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike! Lots of info that I was looking for. I bought the rifle from an estate sale, without any accessories, so I am going to buy plug wrench etc. I had short encounter with Mls - I had (still have in dissembled state ) Traditions flintlock rifle I bought when I lived in Pittsburgh, PA. Pennsylvania has long flintlock only deer season that doesn't overlap with any other firearms, so that was the reason... I am a bolt action rifle guy, long range precision shooting etc. I didn't really got into flintlock world, it is just too ancient and too much fuss for me (no offence to anyone), but at least it took me into muzzleloading! I still have "possibles" I probably can use for inline muzzleloading.

Is your breechplug in the rifle or out? Since you don't have the tool... you have two options. You can either buy the tool, or if your plug is out (or you can get it out) you can buy a new hex head style breechplug. They cost about the same. With the new style plug you just need a 7/16" socket to install/remove the BP.

If you are in need of the combo tool for the slotted breech pug I would check Amazon. We bought one for my Dad's MK-85 and it was cheaper thanbuying from Knight and shipping was less too. Sometimes members on here that have several model on the same rifle will have extra tools and will sell/give you one. I would like to add that some of the early gun had different barrels and slower twist, not all are 1:28.

Nice 1st ML Boxer. Hopefully you didn't overpay for it, for new MLs with more modern features today - plus a warranty with it, can be purchased for only $250-$300 on sale, in a few more months.

Finally had some time to get back to my rifle. I don't have breech plug tool; I t doesn't have slotted head but hex. There is not enough room for 7/16" socket to grab the plug, so I guess I will be ordering one from Amazon. I want to make sure the nipple is for percusiion caps, not for 209 primers?

k9gmso.jpg

That is a 209 BP.
Did you remove the hammer and try a 1/4" drive socket on a long extension? I would think you should have no issue getting it out. I think its a 7/16" socket, I can't remember for sure.

I agree. That looks like the plug for the Red Plastic Jacket. The 1/4" Drive Deep socket should work. 3/8 drive or larger will not fit in the action they are too thick. Does the Face of the Plunger/Hammer have a small cone/dimple in the center of it?

Yes, it appears to have pointed conical dimple. Can't wait to look through the bore and see what it is capable of; I have some powerbelts and the bullet without skirt just falls into the barrel. probably the Knight is not going to shoot them. As Mike suggested, I am going to try some saboted Hornady XTPsThe barreled action has beautiful luster bluing, the receiver appears machined precisely, feels more like high grade centerfire rifle. Balances and shoulders very well and surprisingly light. I was at Cabellas couple of days ago and all those CVAs and Traditions have somehow different, no quite "gun-like feel.
1/4" driver passes through the receiver, but the socket is boo big to be coaxial with BP (receiver bottom prevent it from aligning).

v7v294.jpg

veb51c.jpg

Have you tried a 6 point deep well socket? IIRC a 12 point is thicker and would not fit but a 6 point will.

the receiver appears machined precisely, feels more like high grade centerfire rifle. Balances and shoulders very well and surprisingly light

There is a reason Field and Stream picked the MK85 as one of the best GUNS ever made. No other ML has made that list to my knowledge. True Timney triggers that will rival any more modern ML. They really had a beautiful balance and "feel".

That is the hammer for the 209's. I would work with #11 caps too but is harder on the nipples. My MK-85 .54cal came with that hammer but a #11 BP. I removed that cone and no more issues with the Nipples getting damaged.

I see GM54-120 caught the socket type. I forgot about it. :d'oh!: I do believe the 12pt is too thick. I don't have a 12Pt to measure up, but my 1/4" drive 6pt 7/16 deep Craftsman socket measures .612 OD. You might also try a 1/4 drive 6point 11mm socket too. It fits mine ok. If you have a caliper you can check that against the 12pt you have.

Boxrider,

Knight has plastic primer jackets with 209 primers already inserted on their website. When you consider the price of the jackets and the primers separately, these are a fairly economical alternative.

Also the newest Knight FPJ breech plugs for the MK series have a brazed in vent liner. These are optimized for 209 primers and have a much smaller hole in the front of the plug. I believe they are a little cleaner with less blowback into the receiver.

Took the Knight on a range first time. I have almost full jag of Pyrodex RS that I bought over six years ago and though it would have been decayed by now. Big mistake! With 90 grains by volume and some TC saboted hollow points I had sitting around the rifle kicks like mule. I sighted scope and got some decent groups at 50 yards; This weekend will try some 100 yard shoots. I had hard time with taking plastic jackets with spent primers off the nipple - had to pry them off with screw driver and accidentally gouged the stock finish with screw driver (ouch...) Is there easy way to take spent jackets out?

Latest posts

Back