120 vs 140 grains Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV Hunter I agree completely,, and my mind keeps going back to the science around center fire rifles, powder columns and harmonics,, I understand muzzleloading we're looking at a completely different set of variables, but I still believe powderburn and the efficiency of powder burn in relation to harmonics is important for muzzleloading also maybe I'm wrong I'm still learning,, I know this from a lot of centerfire experience long distance accuracy is as much about harmonics as it is about velocity when you get out past seven or eight hundred yards you have to have a consistent harmonic signal,, just curious and again I'm learning what kind of velocity differences do you have when you're shooting megaloads , do velocity extreme spreads etc stay constant? Or are they better in balance when shooting a hundred to 120 grains by weight y'all help me learn

Ya'll can keep the 120-140, especially with the heavier bullets. I value my nose and eye socket too much. :roll:
That lead sled is cheatin!

As someone who is primarily a hunter, and definitely not a long range competition shooter... I see alot of guys that are hunters (and relatively uneducated about BP rifles) going straight to the heaviest load the manufacturer approves. They automatically think "more is better", when it may not be.
My buddy was shooting 150gr T7 in his rifle, until I got with him and we worked up a load. It ended up a good bit lower gave much better groups, if I recall it was around 105 or 110. Substantially less kick, and for him his groups shrunk down by more than half.
Lol , no lead sleds here . My barrel likes it so i man up and feed it . Pretty simple . Not my first goat ropin either . I suppose it helps to like recoil too . Lol , what can i say ?? I also know How to set up a gun so i Dont get intimate with a scope . The bench also beats you worse than the field does but to be truly good ya gotta practice . At all ranges too . Sitting , standing , kneeling , squating you name it . Some never dedicate themselves to all aspects of proficencey and those are the ones i shake my head at and chuckle......

My ego likes to beat the recoil,, I admit I like to be able to shoot a heavy recoil gun ,, I guess I have little man shooting syndrome

............ just curious and again I'm learning what kind of velocity differences do you have when you're shooting megaloads , do velocity extreme spreads etc stay constant? Or are they better in balance when shooting a hundred to 120 grains by weight y'all help me learn

Its not unlike loading for a CF if you want perfection. What those much smarter than I will tell you, is to chronograph different charges to determine where just a small difference in charge maintains the near identical velocity (node). The nice thing about loose propellant is that you can do that.
As I also understand it, again from people much smarter than myself, is that there can be 2 separate nodes when using BH, especially in custom built rifles capable of handling extreme heavy charges. I'm told that when one drops off, further increasing the charge may likely find another.
Nothing like sending 5 through a single hole :)

Its not unlike loading for a CF if you want perfection. What those much smarter than I will tell you, is to chronograph different charges to determine where just a small difference in charge maintains the near identical velocity (node). The nice thing about loose propellant is that you can do that.
As I also understand it, again from people much smarter than myself, is that there can be 2 separate nodes when using BH, especially in custom built rifles capable of handling extreme heavy charges. I'm told that when one drops off, further increasing the charge may likely find another.
Nothing like sending 5 through a single hole :)
Absolutely correct Encore . Even when i load for my cf 300 mag i search for that as i should . What i found with it though is i can load for velocity and spread and then tune the harmonics with the BOSS SYSTEM brake and Really have one hell of a good load !!!!
This tuneable brake for harmonics IS the next level for accuracy . Whether anyone goes there remains to be seen .

As for Massive T7 charges out of my 7lb / Ruml barreled Knight i believe ill pass !!! 7lb and the Harrels sabot brake isnt alot to work with for that !!! The Ruml and the UF guns are both 10+ lb tanks and much more suited for That abuse !!! Just sayin......

Last edited:
No elk just deer . Im a believer in too much gun / power . And i dont slop shoot either . I feel to hit them as hard as i can equals a more humane harvest over a wider range of distances . Dead is dead but quicker is better . I personally value that .
I am with you, I really try hard to pick the shot i like quick and dead, my buddy had a marginal hit this year, it sucked when we got up to it, I really felt bad that deer, but it happens, all we can do is try our best. i am liking 90 grains with the ceb 240 , so far so good

LR Customs is coming out with a tunable brake.

If you review a couple videos on the site by an outstanding shooter, you'll notice one of these on his rifle:
https://limbsaver.com/products/sharpshooter-x-ring-barrel-dampener

Looks like LR CUSTOMS is tuneing the ports with screws . I noticed that the other day . Same in a way but different . Organ Pipe theory -- kinda .
The x--ring works too by absorbtion -- just find its spot .

Used to tune headers with hose clamps and heat them with secondary combustion by tuneing holes . Worked good !!!

Latest posts

Back