14 shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickt300

Reaction score
My stainless 209x50 Encore barrel came a few days ago.I topped the barrel with a Konus 1-4x25 M30 variable which turns out to be a nice piece of glass for the money. It's eye relief is too long for the base that came on the barrel so I will replace the base for a 6 hole version. The components I chose for sighting in are Federal 209 magnum primers, Jim Shockey's Gold 3F, Harvester Crush rib sabots and 240 grain Speer Uni-Core JSP's. My notes from the previous Encore barrel told me that 80 grains by volume was the most accurate so that is what I used. It took 7 shots to get it sighted in at 100 yards dead center. Two 3 shot groups were both right at an inch. The last shot was used on 4 lined up gallon jugs of water at 100 yards. Well it destroyed the first two, split the third and sailed through the fourth along with the 3/4 inch plywood I use for target backing. No fragments in the jugs and the hole in the backing was around 3/4ths of an inch. Bullet could not be found. Cleanup is a breeze. I cleaned between shots by wetting a patch with rubbing alcohol running that in and out scrubbing a bit at the breech end where a slight roughness could be felt then drying with a clean patch. Final cleanup was three times running a patch wetted with rubbing alcohol then a dry patch after. Recoil was enough so that the scope eyepiece would sometimes hit my sunglasses. Very little blow by happened past the primer. An acceptable start I say.

Acceptable indeed. Sounds like a great start.

For bench shooting I often throw a towel or sweatshirt over my shooting shoulder to move the gun slightly forward. Its a simple way to get that scope a little further from your eye. Its especially handy when I shoot my 338 win mag or heavy loads in the MZ. It also pads the shoulder and makes the shooting more enjoyable.

This ads a little more reality to the shooting as in the fall I will be wearing a heavy coat for hunting.

Last edited:
The scope is one with a large long eyepiece and long eye relief. It could easily be positioned 1/2inch further out no problem. I was impressed with how soft shooting the Encore is with the Flex Tech stock, very soft pad which compresses a lot. It won't hurt anything to set the rifle up for my long neck and stature. I want the 6 hole base for when I start shooting heavy loads and the 300 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

My stainless 209x50 Encore barrel came a few days ago.I topped the barrel with a Konus 1-4x25 M30 variable which turns out to be a nice piece of glass for the money. It's eye relief is too long for the base that came on the barrel so I will replace the base for a 6 hole version. The components I chose for sighting in are Federal 209 magnum primers, Jim Shockey's Gold 3F, Harvester Crush rib sabots and 240 grain Speer Uni-Core JSP's. My notes from the previous Encore barrel told me that 80 grains by volume was the most accurate so that is what I used. It took 7 shots to get it sighted in at 100 yards dead center. Two 3 shot groups were both right at an inch. The last shot was used on 4 lined up gallon jugs of water at 100 yards. Well it destroyed the first two, split the third and sailed through the fourth along with the 3/4 inch plywood I use for target backing. No fragments in the jugs and the hole in the backing was around 3/4ths of an inch. Bullet could not be found. Cleanup is a breeze. I cleaned between shots by wetting a patch with rubbing alcohol running that in and out scrubbing a bit at the breech end where a slight roughness could be felt then drying with a clean patch. Final cleanup was three times running a patch wetted with rubbing alcohol then a dry patch after. Recoil was enough so that the scope eyepiece would sometimes hit my sunglasses. Very little blow by happened past the primer. An acceptable start I say.
Who"d a thunk it ,with Shockeys Gold (HA) /Ed

Next powder to try is going to be IMR White Hots even though I dislike pellets.

Shooters World picked up the APP line of powders.
83678.jpg

Didn't know that, when I did my search I looked for APP powders, maybe Shooters world is easier to find.

Latest posts

Back