245 grain maxiball in 454 suited for Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sized your bullets to 451.5 with my Lee .452 sizing die. Using them with my White Rifle whose bore dimension is .451 they went down just fine with ever so slight of a resistance. I'm positive it would not move off my charge if I were to hunt with them. The bullets I cast for my White I size them all to .451.5 and I've never had a problem with any of them moving off the charge while hunting.

edmehlig said:
I sized your bullets to 451.5 with my Lee .452 sizing die. Using them with my White Rifle whose bore dimension is .451 they went down just fine with ever so slight of a resistance. I'm positive it would not move off my charge if I were to hunt with them. The bullets I cast for my White I size them all to .451.5 and I've never had a problem with any of them moving off the charge while hunting.

Sounds good Ed, Sizing is something i have never done with Grease Groove bullets? But it makes good sense, after reading this i am definitely gonna play around with it! I just got done polishing this brand new Lee .454 Sizer die (Flitz metal polish) with the lock ring removed i use a smooth piece of 3/8 steel rod with a half piece of paper towel wrapped tightly around it, ad a small amount of Flitz metal polish and roll back n forth across a smooth flat surface for 30 seconds or so (the same way you would open a sizer die) Except all i am doing is giving the sizing ring a really nice polish job, if i am removing anything it is EXTREMELY tiny! Polishing the internals of the sizer sure makes the bullets slide through nice! I roll my bullets across a lube pad before sizing, but a high polished sizer just makes sizing that much nicer. I know i have a Lee .452 Sizer around here somewhere as well. I will try this with both .454, and .452

With this 40:1 Alloy they are on the TIGHT side straight from the mold, with this particular alloy sized down to .452-.454 it could do nothing but make for easier loading. I personally did NOT like the feel of these made of soft lead like i sent you, i could feel them giving up on the way down the bore, to the point I personally didn’t trust them. No doubt we all have a slight different opinion on what we feel is the best fit? I like to feel a good solid resistance all the way down to the OP Wad, What i feel is right might be to tight for the next guy?

I'm back to this after a year. I'm going to order the tapered accurate mould. Do I need an over powder wad or anything beyond powder and primer ?

You can do your own testing, but with flat based bullets of pure soft lead - I’ve always had better groups when using a wad. You can certainly shoot without a wad - I’ve experienced a flyer every now and then.
I had Accurate Molds duplicate one 45-348w that I made. It’s close to the AC Gould (Slightly smaller in diameter, no sizing) Shoots very well out of my Knight 1-30” using 85gr Swiss 2F.
Best of luck..

52Bore said:
You can do your own testing, but with flat based bullets of pure soft lead - I’ve always had better groups when using a wad. You can certainly shoot without a wad - I’ve experienced a flyer every now and then.
I had Accurate Molds duplicate one 45-348w that I made. It’s close to the AC Gould (Slightly smaller in diameter, no sizing) Shoots very well out of my Knight 1-30” using 85gr Swiss 2F.
Best of luck..
what alloy do you cast this bullet with? Whats your favorite wad ?

Latest posts

Back