.280 Ackley Improved...?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
What are your thoughts....? All info appreciated...

Thanks in Advance...:yeah:
JC

GOOD choice!!!! If my Rem. 700 wasn't marked 7MM Express I would have rechambered years ago. I still might??? :think:

Are you able to shoot that in NY/NJ? A good cartridge I have heard but no actual experience with one.

VENISONEATR said:
GOOD choice!!!! If my Rem. 700 wasn't marked 7MM Express I would have rechambered years ago. I still might??? :think:

Yes! EXCELLENT choice! I don't have one because I have a 7mm08, .270 Win, and 7mmMag.

I think it would be a great one as well.. I'd even be a tad envious!

You do plan on reloading right?

I will be the odd man out. What can it do that 7mm mag can't?
Resale will suck and loading for it will require a little more care.
Pain in the buttocks. Just not practical. If this is for your custom mauser, well that gun can only be in one cartridge. 35 Whelen. :D

Rifleman said:
If this is for your custom mauser, well that gun can only be in one cartridge. 35 Whelen. :D
I like both cartridges. Both cases are from the '06. The .280 AI only trails the 7 Mag. by maybe 100 fps. And it does all without a belt or wider case. (A whole different gamut of issues.) I would toss and turn over which cartridge to set your Mauser up in. I would consider the 7X57, 6.5X55 Swede, .280 AI, or .35 Whelan.
With the Whelan you'd be set for anything in N. America . Here's an idea chamber it for the .35 Whelan Ackley Improved :mrgreen:

Well,

I agree with the 35 whelen! But I would still stay with the .280AI simply to steer clear of the belted 7mag.. I don't see Jeff selling this gun after he put so much time into it. ... I may be wrong ??

just my .02!

Great info so far guys,

First off, let me say it is not for that mauser.....

Second, I should have clarified that I am most interested in what the caliber can do on it's own merits and what makes it unique.
I know that is is very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag, (which I already have), what I most interested in why is is different, and the positive/negatives views on those differences.

Once again, thanks for all the info so far, please keep the info coming.

JC

Doohan said:
Well,
I don't see Jeff selling this gun....

Doohan is certainly thinking on the right track. Not to mention, in the type of guns I am generally interested in, semi-custom calibers virtually always carry a resale premium, not a discount.

However, as I mentioned in my last post, I am most interested in discussing the actual calibers capabilities as opposed to discussing whether or not I would buy one. (We all know that debate will never be resolved.. :lol: )

JC

Nosler is now selling their M48 rifle in .280 Ackley, and they have submitted the cartridge to SAAMI for standardization. They report that such is to happen Real Soon Now, like within the month.

I have a .280 Rem, and it shoots well too. Also marked 7 mm Express on the barrel when I had it built.

I have a Nosler .280 Ackley cartridge case, and my *opinion* just from looking at the case is it is too much of a good thing. I prefer a bit more taper in the cartridge for feeding and extraction. No doubt the .280 Ackley is a good shooter and excellent for hunting, but I don't feel the need to rechamber my .280.

jim

HunterJim said:
Nosler is now selling their M48 rifle in .280 Ackley Improved...

Yes,

That was a small spark that contributed to my starting this discussion, certainly not the M48, but the fact that Nosler is now manufacturing factory .280 Ackley Brass... :wink:

Between the new Nosler rifle, new Nosler brass, and the outspoken support of Custom makers like Kenny Jarrett, it seems that round is attracting an unusual amount of renewed interest for a semi-custom caliber.

JC

Nosler .280 AI Brass:
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=9&bullet=13

Kenny Jarret on the .280 AI

If I had to lay my finger on one thing that really brought Jarrett Rifles to the dance it would be the .280 Improved. We have made over 400 rifles in this caliber and probably rebarreled at least that many. For me to say I?ve had more experience with this cartridge than anyone has ever had is a safe bet. After several long discussions with P.O. Ackley I decided that this was a cartridge that I wanted to work with. Even though Mr. Ackley would not take credit for its creation, it bears all the markings of Ackleys work. He did a 7mm-06 version which is slightly shorter and has a little less capacity than the .280 version. Mr. Ackley was very complimentary of the .280 Improved. He once told me that he felt its capacity bore about the maximum usable powder capacity for 7mm. Ackley had a lot of influence on me in the earlier days and out of respect for his help, most of my .280 Imp. rifles still bear his name. Several things make the .280 Improved such a wonderful cartridge. One is factory ammo can be used in the improved chamber, second, brass life is good, and third, versatility of use created by its high degree of accuracy with bullet weights ranging from 120gr. To 160gr. One can see that there is very little difference if any between the magnum 7mm?s and the .280 Improved. Mr. Ackley had a strong opinion that a belted case was not needed in 7mm. Below are average velocities for the .280 Improved and I say average because rifles are individuals. In fact, the tight bore barrels dimensionally speaking produces the best accuracy but not the best velocity.

On the light bullet end, you have a set up that will beat a 25-06 all to pieces. Conversely speaking the heavy end bullets will out do a 30-06 velocity wise. Because of the higher ballistic co-efficient of the 160 gr. 7mm bullets, compared to the 160gr. 30 caliber bullet, it will retain its down range velocity better.

If you only want one custom rifle, then the versatility should be your prime consideration. The .280 Improved has that. Totally adequate on small African game or Antelope with the 120's. Perfect for larger deer with the 140's and a real elk and moose buster with the 160's. Also, the bullet selection is tremendous on 7mm. The .280 Improved has been our best seller for 8 years. Unless you are really recoil shy, a muzzle brake is not necessary on a .280 Improved. We have continued to sell them through the years because they work extremely well. I did alter the throat angle where they would really ?stick ?um in there.? We made them work and shoot and still do. Thousands upon thousands of animals have been taken world wide with the Jarrett Rifle in .280 Imp. That many dead animals couldn?t be wrong.

NoslerCustom 2nd Edition in .280 AI
NOSLER UNVEILS THE NOSLERCUSTOM? BOLT ACTION RIFLE EDITION #2 One year after the introduction of the first-ever NoslerCustom Bolt Action Rifle Limited Edition, the folks in Bend, Oregon have followed up the 300 WSM in 2005 with a surprising new caliber?the 280 Ackley Improved. Again limited to just 500 total units, the NoslerCustom Rifle presents an incredible opportunity of performance for the shooter whose passion for accuracy is equal to his passion for fine craftsmanship.

Based on Nosler?s long-standing reputation for producing premium hunting bullets that not only deliver performance on impact, but that are exceedingly accurate, this fine rifle offers a guaranteed accuracy potential of 1/2-inch or better three-shot groups at 100 yards with NoslerCustom 280 Ackley Improved hunting loads with 140 grain Nosler AccuBond? bullets.

The NoslerCustom Rifle is built on a double-square bridge, proprietary design action featuring unique integral scope mount bases that accept Leupold?s field proven QR? (Quick Release) scope rings. Nosler has integrated a 3-position safety design and Timney adjustable trigger set to a crisp, 3 lb. let-off into the action. The rifle?s classic lines are enhanced by Ted Blackburn-style, one-piece bottom metal/triggerguard.

To maximize accuracy, the NoslerCustom action is mated to a hand-lapped, 24" match grade stainless Match Grade barrel that has been custom chambered for the legendary 280 Ackley Improved cartridge. All metal surfaces on the rifle feature a unique, all-weather ceramic coating that provides a durable, handsome matte finish that is highly resistant to wear and corrosion.

NoslerCustom?s fancy walnut stock with ebony forearm tip and grip cap are hand-bedded to the barreled action for the ultimate presentation of function and beauty. Yet this work of art is also meant to be hunted with?22 lines-per-inch point-pattern checkering for a sure grip in any weather, a shadow-line cheekpiece designed to provide a perfect ?weld? of your face to the stock, and a Pachmayr? Decelerator recoil pad for optimum shooting comfort.

The 280 Ackley Improved NoslerCustom rifle is offered complete with a Leupold Custom Shop? VX?-III 3.5-10x40mm riflescope fitted with a specially designed reticle calibrated to provide 200-500 yard zeroes with 140 grain AccuBond? NoslerCustom? Ammunition. The scope, mounted in Leupold QR? rings, bears the same serial number as the rifle, as does the included Kalispell Aluminum airline-approved travel case.

280 AI......awesome choice! I've always dreamed of owning a Jarrett 280 AI, that would really be some rifle!

Nic_58 said:
280 AI......awesome choice! I've always dreamed of owning a Jarrett 280 AI, that would really be some rifle!

Me too! I guess I've gotten so sidetracked with muzzleloaders these days...

So Jeff, have you put your order in for a Nosler rifle??? Or are you just impressing us with your research skills?

VENISONEATR said:
So Jeff, have you put your order in for a Nosler rifle??? Or are you just impressing us with your research skills?

Jim,

LOL....

No, I have not ordered a new Nosler... :cry:. My interest in this round actually has little to do with the Nosler rifle or the new brass...(Though I certainly admit it is one fine looking rifle!)

As I mentioned to you when we went Pheasant hunting I have been interested in possibly getting a .280 at some point, I just figured it was as good a time as any to get some outside thoughts on the A.I. (that is mostly.. :think: where this research and thread came from.)

JC

I have been interested in possibly getting a .280 at some point, I just figured it was as good a time as any to get some outside thoughts on the A.I.

I say DO IT! Be the LIFE of the PARTY! 8)

, semi-custom calibers virtually always carry a resale premium, not a discount.

Not around here. As a gunshow junkie, I can tell you there are real regional differences in the gun market. Typically in the midwest market, semi custom guns or calibers are a tough sell. Now the internet market, well that changes day to day. If semi custom calibers do carry a premium on the east coast, well, that is good info to have. :wink:

Rifleman said:
Not around here. As a gunshow junkie, I can tell you there are real regional differences in the gun market. Typically in the midwest market, semi custom guns or calibers are a tough sell. Now the internet market, well that changes day to day. If semi custom calibers do carry a premium on the east coast, well, that is good info to have. :wink:

Rifleman,

Once again you carry words of wisdom...

I should have clarified myself a bit more....I was speaking about a particular groups of guns, (usually custom Mausers or their variations), and in particular those sold on internet auction sites (Gunbroker,GunsAmerican, Auction Arms). While I know these are only one segment of the used gun market, it is definitely the one I personally focus the most on for just the reason we are discussing.

As far as the rest of the used gun markets and semi-custom calibers I couldn't agree with you moe...Odd-ball calibers definitely do hurt resale value in the large majority of the cases.

JC

Back