300 Yard Elk Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I hope everyone is well. I found out this morning I drew a very nice New Mexico MZ Elk Tag. While they reshuffle the deck each year, this will likely be a once in a lifetime tag ( especially considering my current age ). Even though I MZ CO Elk every year, I chose to hire a guide ( and it really ups the draw odds ). After speaking to the Outfitter today, he want's me to be proficient out to 300 yards. While I've shot a lot of deer and one Elk with a MZ over the years, my longest shot at game hs been < 150 yards. Most < 50 yards.

I have a few options in the safe:

45 Fast Twist Disc
Knight Disc Extreme, MK-85 or LRH. All 50s
Disc Extreme .52
50 Cal Omega

I'm not sure about a 300 yrd scope. I have a couple of Nikon Omega BDC scopes which are pretty good on clarity but I've never messed around with the BDC Features.

Finally, I'll need Elk Hitting power out to 300. I'm thinking 275 Grain Lehigh / Bloodlines in the .52 but have not really commited. I could go with 495 No Excuses in a 50 but I'd imaginge a pretty good arch. How about Ed's 495s in the fast twist 45?

I'm open for suggestions. I have 6 months and the clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Congrats.
I’d go with a heavy conical, 45 1st choice if they are allowed, 52cal 2nd choice.
300yd shot - adjusting turret 10moa or 20moa takes same amount of time. Based on your Guides suggestion. You’ll probably be zeroed at 150-200 which make adjustments even less of an issue.
It’s your confidence from practicing in the gun, load and shot placement that counts.
Best of luck - keep us in track of your progress.

Congratulations on the hunt. We live in Arizona and my wife and I both got skunked this year. I haven’t been drawn for 4 years now. I know you absolutely want to be prepared for you hunt, and whatever gun you choose, start practicing now. If your guide needs you proficient at 300, shoot out to 400. In Arizona the guides we use want us able to hit at 500 with center fire rifles. If your guide can get you within 300 he is very good at his job. Keep us posted on your progress.

Congratulations on the hunt. We live in Arizona and my wife and I both got skunked this year. I haven’t been drawn for 4 years now. I know you absolutely want to be prepared for you hunt, and whatever gun you choose, start practicing now. If your guide needs you proficient at 300, shoot out to 400. In Arizona the guides we use want us able to hit at 500 with center fire rifles. If your guide can get you within 300 he is very good at his job. Keep us posted on your progress.

Really? What do bow hunters do?

The choice would be easy for me, BIG Lead in a .45 Cal, Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE Til you become VERY proficient at making a 300 yard Shot

Here’s some data to ponder..

45s are leagal in NM.

I believe Ed on this forum poured me up a bunch of 465's that shoot real well from th 1/20 twist. 52bore, can tell me where you ran these ballistics or perhaps run it with a 465. I wounder how much T7 3F I'd dare shoot with? Thoughts?

I Have a Chrono so I could get the Muzzle Velocity once I get going.

45s are leagal in NM.

I believe Ed on this forum poured me up a bunch of 465's that shoot real well from th 1/20 twist. 52bore, can tell me where you ran these ballistics or perhaps run it with a 465. I wounder how much T7 3F I'd dare shoot with? Thoughts?

I Have a Chrono so I could get the Muzzle Velocity once I get going.
I ran them on JBM.
The 250 & 300 MV came from BH209 Max charges, avg with each perspective bullet weight.
The Heavy are my 45, 50 & 52’s Bullets that I’ve made and shot.
I’ve not seen the slower twist (1:28) 50 do what the faster twist 45 & 52 can do at Friendship and in matches head to head.
I will run the 465 and post. I’ll use the same 1400 MV as my 50/475HP.

OK, back in business.
Not sure Max (120grV) BH209 data for the 250 & 300 is actual to many who seem to find 90-110grV most accurate possibly 100grV would have been best?
Conversely, the velocities of 13-1400 for the heavier bullets can be obtained with 70-80grV BH209?
But, here is correct trajectory over distances that I messed up before.
BF09DC09-504A-46D8-8A6C-D206096D4482.jpeg
You might ask you guide what he considers min energy for Elk.

Last edited:
OK, back in business.
Not sure Max (120grV) BH209 data for the 250 & 300 is actual to many who seem to find 90-110grV most accurate possibly 100grV would have been best?
Conversely, the velocities of 13-1400 for the heavier bullets can be obtained with 70-80grV BH209?
But, here is correct trajectory over distances that I messed up before.
View attachment 8674
You might ask you guide what he considers min energy for Elk.

Thanks 52Bore Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back