300 Yard Elk Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So looks like smokeless is out for AZ. You've got a few months to prepare.
Excepting heavy conicals I see a few choices that I'm aware of for a long range .45 Elk worthy.
Pittman Aeromax 325gr, Accumax 350grmight work in your fast twist disk .45 with a max 120gr Blackhorn. They're designed for smokeless and you might need to size them. Fury has a 325gr star tip that looks good. Same on sizing. There's others also but I say 325gr +++. And a good profile, bullet coefficient.
The heavy conicals will work as stated but I think it would take longer to be proficient, but that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
I've been researching for deer at 300yds for almost 2 years.
Elk is another page.
If you have the budget get a custom from Arrowhead or Bestill, find a used one. Smokeless do great on Blackhorn also. You can max up charges past 120gr.
Or lastly do what I did. Buy the Paramount, a lot of bullets, and a chronograph. A nice scope and see what you can do.
Then test, practice, test, pull out the calculator.Shoot, test, Practice.
Question?
What rifle does your guide suggest ?
Good Luck

That’ll do it! :lewis:

I Shoot a little 400 Grain Paper Patched Lead Bullet out to 600 Yards, When you watch the Video of it hitting my Gong there, It stil has a LOT of Authority. The Bullet Pieces i find are SMASHED Razor Thin
I just watched that video again recently. Great shooting & they sure as heck do hit with some authority.

That’ll do it! :lewis:

I Shoot a little 400 Grain Paper Patched Lead Bullet out to 600 Yards, When you watch the Video of it hitting my Gong there, It stil has a LOT of Authority. The Bullet Pieces i find are SMASHED Razor Thin

i can't seem to find your video. I belive you btw but it would be fun to watch.

Something to Keep in mind when using BIG Lead, it takes a LOT of MOA to Shoot Long Targets. The 600 Yard Gong Shot Above, My Bullet was Right at 32 Feet Above the Gong at it’s Highest Point in the “Rainbow”

I moved on to 825 Yards, there my bullet was about 65 Feet Above the Target at it’s Highest Point.

The choice would be easy for me, BIG Lead in a .45 Cal, Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE Til you become VERY proficient at making a 300 yard Shot
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE from the position you will probably be shooting from........prone with your rifle resting on a rock, stump, or day pack. WAY DIFFERENT than sitting at a nice steady bench with bags front and back. It would also help to practice at 300 yards on some windy days so you get an idea of what the wind can do to a bullet at that distance.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE from the position you will probably be shooting from........prone with your rifle resting on a rock, stump, or day pack. WAY DIFFERENT than sitting at a nice steady bench with bags front and back. It would also help to practice at 300 yards on some windy days so you get an idea of what the wind can do to a bullet at that distance.

MOST DEFINITELY, Common Sense would be to practice the way you plan to Hunt

The big lead is good for close range, but at 300 yards the trajectory would require about two years practice at 2 times a week unless you have a photographic memory for that reason if you don't shoot big lead all the time it might be better to go with the 275 Lehigh bullet even so going past 250 yds. is tricky.

I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

The big lead is good for close range, but at 300 yards the trajectory would require about two years practice at 2 times a week unless you have a photographic memory for that reason if you don't shoot big lead all the time it might be better to go with the 275 Lehigh bullet even so going past 250 yds. is tricky.

Good Point. Im worried about doping the drop of big lead. I know the pros make it look easy but I’d have my work cut out for me. Perhaps a 325 grain Fury ( or similar ) sized for my 1/20 Super Disc would allow me to have a shorter learning curve?

Good Point. Im worried about doping the drop of big lead. I know the pros make it look easy but I’d have my work cut out for me. Perhaps a 325 grain Fury ( or similar ) sized for my 1/20 Super Disc would allow me to have a shorter learning curve?

Yes, the Fury would remove a lot of work.

I could imagine that when the outfitter says to be proficient to 300yds, in their head that's likely the maximum he'll allow a shot with a muzzleloader, and in the long run they're probably wanting you most of all, to shoot accurate. Practicing at 300yds will without question help and make 100yds a chip shot. When hunting, a 300yd shot is to say the least, difficult for all but seasoned long range shooters.

One thing is certain and FACT...…….. its the shooter's final decision rather to take the shot or not. Practice at that maximum distance, but when its time for the trigger to break, you and you alone will make that decision. If you feel total confidence at making the shot, that's one thing. If you're concerned in the least about the shot, that's a good reason to hold off.

Learn and KNOW the animals anatomy and where EXACTLY to place the shot. Way to many hunters shoot at and animal, instead of a spot on the animal. Those high lung shots may be killing shots, but that also means the likelihood of lessor blood trail.

Wishing you the best...

LarryBud:
Since it looks like you may be going with a 45 caliber, here is actual data from BH209 website of bullet weight, max recommended powder charge and associated muzzle velocity.
Same 200yd zero and bullet flight path to 300.
I did add MOA adjustment at 300.
I think this is more apples to apples staying with all BH published data.
C63BD23E-77EE-40EF-B2EE-B2F4E395B33E.jpeg

Last edited:
I've used a Nikon BDC with their Spot On ballistics program, and found it very accurate. Unfortunately, the reticle broke, and their warranty is only for the original owner. I've shot deer at 300, and wasn't impressed with the terminal results. Longest elk shot is 220 meters with a 405 gr. .458 bullet. DRT. I hunt NM, and I've never taken a 300 yard shot on elk. But, I'd love to be able to. Walk with a pack to get in shape, it will make your hunt more enjoyable. What unit?

So, do muzzleloaders here. I thought Arizona was similar.

I'm not a fan of long shots and voice it. Even if I was hunting in rifle seasons which I do a lot when it's the only tag I can get.

So, do muzzleloaders here. I thought Arizona was similar.

I'm not a fan of long shots and voice it. Even if I was hunting in rifle seasons which I do a lot when it's the only tag I can get.
I’m not a fan of long shots either, but in Arizona, as with some other states, open areas and cross-canyon shots require them. Or, you can go home empty handed. My wife’s longest shot on elk was 385 yards and we worked pretty hard to get that close. As for the rut, Arizona reserves the premium bull tags for that brief season, and it’s a rifle hunt. The State can make a lot more money with nonresident fees that way. it’s a real point of contention with resident hunters but I doubt it will ever change.

Back