300 Yard Elk Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish him well. Everyone should hope he drops one at 60yds, if it presents itself.
In his OP, the guide asked him to be able to shoot to 300. I assume with a guide knows the terrain and gives sound advice for his clients to be successful.

As long as the guide isn't being lazy. It's easier to find long shots. If that's all that's available due to terrain than so be it.

I forgot to mention. I would use Harvester's heavier bullet in the same line.
I shoot a T/C Strike using BH 209 powder and a CCI 209 primer to propel a Harvester 300 grain PT gold bullet with their black crushed rib sabot using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. It is a solid 200-yard shooter and if I had a conveniently located range longer than 200 yards, I’d have a longer opinion.

P1000740.JPG

Powder charge for all three caught bullets was probably 105g Blackhorn. Omega rifle sighted in for 100 yard. The 200, and 300 shots were done by dialing. Had a scope with dots to be used for long range, but couldn't make friends with it. Sent the scope back to Leupold to be fitted with a simple reticle, and a cds dial. Dialing for long range works good.

Cannot get enthusiastic about shooting out 300 yard using a 50 caliber rifle. The 45 caliber rifles seem to be better out that far.

Crawling through cactus on one's belly, to me, seems to be a better option, than an iffy overly long range shot.

Take a look at Fury bullets.

Me, i don't know what to do. Did shoot an elk once at over 300 yard; it was good eating. Most elk we ate, were killed much much closer. Probably shouldn't have replied to this thread.

Latest posts

Back