The power of 3 - New Sabot from MMP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
The power of 3 - New Sabot from MMP

A few months ago I recieved an email from Del Ramsay asking me if I was interested in trying a sabot prototype. I said I'd be happy to and recieved a package of prototypes designated HPH-12L a few days later.

These are 50 cal sabots that measure a thousanth or two under the HPH 24. With a .451 dia. 250 gr Barnes bullet and a HPH 12 measures .503, a HPH 24 and the same bullet, .501, and the HPH 12L measures .499. The sabots also have 3 petals which are wider than the 4 petal versions. They are also shorter than the HPH 12/24 sabots. But will they shoot?

hph1.jpg

Here you can see a Barnes 250 MZ in both a HPH 12 and a HPH 12L. Notice the shorter petals. Also shown are fired HPH 12 and HPH 12L sabots. The prototypes have round bases and so will the production versions.

I tried the new sabots in two rifles. The test rifles were my T/C Omega with a bore diameter of .500 and my Knight Disc Extreme with a bore diameter of .503. The test loads were 2 Triple Seven Pellets and 250/300 gr .452 XTP's. All groups were shot at 100 yds. unless otherwise noted. Because of the small diameter of the sabots I didn't expect a good grouping with the Extreme but I tested them anyway.

I fired three 3 shot groups with the Disc Extreme. The first group I shot was with the 300 XTP. It measured 2 1/4" with two of the shots just over an inch. The second group I shot was with the 250 XTP. That one measured 3 3/8" which wasn't surprising becuase of the light weight and loose fit. I then decided to try a shot with the fouled bore and see if I could load the combo past the fouling. It loaded easy enough and shot. I tried that twice more for a third group of 1 3/8". In my oversized Knight they shot better in a fouled barrel.

hph2.jpg

The three groups shot out of the Disc Extreme.

I fired two 5 shot groups out of the omega. The first group was with the 300 XTP and measured 2 3/4". Not a great showing but 3 of the shots were in the same hole! I'm not sure what caused the flyers but I was shocked at that. The second group measured 1 7/8" with two pairs of shots cutting holes! I've still got more shooting to do but the addition of a new rifle and preperation for an upcoming hog hunt have delayed further testing.

hph3.jpg

The three groups shot out of the T/C Omega.

The next time I went to the range was preparing for an upcoming hog hunt. The groups here were shot at 50 yds. I was going to use a 250 MZ in a HPH 12 sabot in my Disc Extreme. After shooting a group I was curious to see how it would shoot with the HPH 12L and where the point of impact would be. Impact was very close to the other groups. I only adjusted for an inch to the right between groups 1 and 2. Group 3 was fired the same as group 1. Based on my results these could be the ticket for follow up shots without swabbing during hunting in larger bores.

hph4.jpg

The three groups shot in preperation for the hog hunt.

These have been my results with the prototypes. There have been a number of other shooters testing them but I can only report my results. I'm anxiously awaiting the production version which should be availible in May. If you've got a tight bored rifle such as a T/C Omega these will be worth trying and for larger bores they might be the ticket for a fast follow up shot without swabbing.

Note: HPH 12L is a temporary designation. They are working on the production name.

I was fortunate enough to get in on this same experimental run of these 3 petaled sabots.

I was shooting these sabots from guns that I normally use the HPH-24's in. So I was somewhat concerned when putting them down the barrel and they went down so easy. I shot them in A&H, Remingtons, Green Mountain LRH Hawkins, and an Omega. I shot Speers - .451 &.452, Hornady's .452, Sierras, and Noslers. All of them worked great.

I shot these new sabots over the course of several weeks this set of targets were from my second outing with them. I shot them with and inside other sabots I had on hand with the same powder charge and the same conditions. The targets below show the results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/ ... 12LPic.jpg

Next came a velocity comparison shot on another trip. Point to remember I normally shoot HPH-24's so my bores are large enough for them to load nicely. The 3 petals loaded really easy so i was worried that i would loose a lot of velocity with blow by - really did not happen.

Shooting a 250 Grain Gold Dot:

HPH-24 - 1880fps
HPH-24 - 1877fps
HPH-24 - 1854fps

HPH-12-3P - 1857fps
HPH-12-3P - 1862fps
HPH-12-3P - 1854fps

I was impressed with this new product - it really should be a winner. You guys with the really tight bores might really like them. They should be available in the next 30 days. Give Connie a call at MMP and get them.

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

I can hardly wait to get my paws on some of these 3 petal sabots. I was going to switch to a Powerbelt, or conicals in the Omega until I read this. Hopefully we will get these in Canada around the same time. Thanks for the great news. :D :D

NEW222

cur_dog

For your Knight they might be to thin... increasing your chance of getting blow-by...

Check with Patrick - I am sure he is shooting Knights...

I just called Connie and ordered some on the phone. She said they're available if you ask for them, but they're not ready for advertising yet - they don't have the packaging, instructions, etc. ready.
I asked for "the new, 3 petal sabot for 50/45."
Since I had already been able to try a few in my very tight bore gun (CVA/BPI Beartooth), I gave her that info for the benefit of any others who might have one.
Seemed like real nice folks - I have some on the way.

jaybe :)

sabotloader said:
cur_dog

For your Knight they might be to thin... increasing your chance of getting blow-by...

Check with Patrick - I am sure he is shooting Knights...

One Knight, one T/C. They shot better in the Knight after the barrel was fouled. I was able to load a 3 petaled sabot and a .452 or .451 bullet with no swabbing after a shot with 777 pellets.

The T/C was too tight to reload after shooting.

This seems to be a great product for use in tighter bored muzzleloaders. I did not find it to be a snug enough fit for use in the Savage 10ML-II using smokeless powder, however. I tested it using three different powders(AA-5744, SR-4759, and VV N-110) and two different weights of bullets(250gr and 300gr .452 XTPs). Seating the sabot/bullet combination was easy...TOO easy. When it fired, the groups were great. When it fired. ALL the misfires I have had this year were when using this sabot. I tried the sabot in two different 10ML-IIs, both with new breechplugs. Not the sabot for use in 10ML-IIs, no doubt about it. No need to worry though...that's why we have the HPH-24! :D

big6x6 said:
This seems to be a great product for use in tighter bored muzzleloaders. I did not find it to be a snug enough fit for use in the Savage 10ML-II using smokeless powder, however. I tested it using three different powders(AA-5744, SR-4759, and VV N-110) and two different weights of bullets(250gr and 300gr .452 XTPs). Seating the sabot/bullet combination was easy...TOO easy. When it fired, the groups were great. When it fired. ALL the misfires I have had this year were when using this sabot. I tried the sabot in two different 10ML-IIs, both with new breechplugs. Not the sabot for use in 10ML-IIs, no doubt about it. No need to worry though...that's why we have the HPH-24! :D

When I called and told him my results Del mentioned that it wasn't doing well in the smokeless guns. I wondered who did the testing for that. :D

Latest posts

Back