.45 ELR and Traditions Vortek

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robg

Reaction score
Hello, New to this board and new to ML hunting. I have a .45 Traditions Stryker Fire. I purchased some Powerbelt ELR 285 gr. because that's all I could find. However, Traditions tells me these are not a good choice due to under sized bullets.
Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Thanks,

Welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

Your Traditions rifle doesn't have the barrel issues that CVA created with some of their newer .45 cal rifles and the subsequent birth of those ELR Powerbelt bullets. Not many actual field reports by actual hunters have been floating around regarding the ELR bullets, so it's still a bit vague on how the bullets perform on animals: however, the regular Powerbelts have had a real mixed history: some people have done fine with them while other, and probably more at this end, have reported very poor terminal results on deer sized animals. Just about all Powerbelt bullets have shown very good accuracy.

Your Traditions gun can use sabots and jacketed pistol bullets in .40 caliber and you'll likely find the best accuracy using these two components. In my .45 cal rifles I've seen some super good paper results using 200 grain XTP Hornady bullets as well as 195 grain Barnes Expanders and 225 grain Fury Star-tip bullets with the 195 grain Barnes and the 200 XTPs having taking deer with outstanding terminal performance. Fury offers a few more weight choices in the .40 cal and other bullets makers also offer .40 cal bullets that work great at muzzleloader speeds.

You do not mention powder, but I'd stay away from pellet forms of powder as they restrict your ability to really fine tune loads and you and your gun are worthy of the fine tuning. Triple Seven powder comes in FFg and FFFg granulation size, the FFFG being the finer of the two and I've had super good results at the range and on deer in my .45 cal, black powder only, rifle using either the XTP or the Expander bullets mentioned using Harvester light blue sabots. A crush rib light blue sabot is also available should loading seem too hard with the plain light blue.

At any rate, congrats to you on your new gun and welcome again to Modern Muzzleloader!

I have shot the 50 cal ELRs out of my older Acura. Killed a doe this year. Bullet performed extremely well. I have zero experience with the traditions/45 cal ELRs.

Your Traditions rifle doesn't have the barrel issues that CVA created with some of their newer .45 cal rifles and the subsequent birth of those ELR Powerbelt bullets. Not many actual field reports by actual hunters have been floating around regarding the ELR bullets, so it's still a bit vague on how the bullets perform on animals: however, the regular Powerbelts have had a real mixed history: some people have done fine with them while other, and probably more at this end, have reported very poor terminal results on deer sized animals. Just about all Powerbelt bullets have shown very good accuracy.

Your Traditions gun can use sabots and jacketed pistol bullets in .40 caliber and you'll likely find the best accuracy using these two components. In my .45 cal rifles I've seen some super good paper results using 200 grain XTP Hornady bullets as well as 195 grain Barnes Expanders and 225 grain Fury Star-tip bullets with the 195 grain Barnes and the 200 XTPs having taking deer with outstanding terminal performance. Fury offers a few more weight choices in the .40 cal and other bullets makers also offer .40 cal bullets that work great at muzzleloader speeds.

You do not mention powder, but I'd stay away from pellet forms of powder as they restrict your ability to really fine tune loads and you and your gun are worthy of the fine tuning. Triple Seven powder comes in FFg and FFFg granulation size, the FFFG being the finer of the two and I've had super good results at the range and on deer in my .45 cal, black powder only, rifle using either the XTP or the Expander bullets mentioned using Harvester light blue sabots. A crush rib light blue sabot is also available should loading seem too hard with the plain light blue.

At any rate, congrats to you on your new gun and welcome again to Modern Muzzleloader!
Thanks!

After reading your response again, I assume that it's OK to use the ELR's in my traditions rifle, as far as safely shooting them. Just not a lot of info on performance. Is that correct?

After reading your response again, I assume that it's OK to use the ELR's in my traditions rifle, as far as safely shooting them. Just not a lot of info on performance. Is that correct?
Yes, they’d be safe. Welcome from Las Vegas!

I have not seen the 45 cal ELR bullets in the field but I did see the 50 cal version a few years back. A single shot at a bit over 110 yards right through the boiler room. The damage was significant and the big old doe didn't go far. Expansion was violent... I don't believe a shoulder shot into heavy bone would be a good idea. Too much meat loss. They have proven to be quite accurate. The 320gr ELR shoots very well out of my Accura V2 Plains Rifle but I dont use them in favor of a less fragile bullet, the Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P.

Latest posts

Back