Accuracy tweaks for Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLC

Reaction score
I am fairly new to inline muzzleloading and bought my first one this past January. I have the 50 Omega, stainless with laminate stock. I have a 3X10 Leupold on it. I get okay groups, usually around 2" or so at 100 yards off the bench and have had the occasional group at about an inch.

I use 777 pellets mainly but did try loose BM3 which gave really erratic performance for me accuracy wise. I shoot mainly 250 and 300 SST's but have also had good results with 300 XTPs. I shoot either MMP or Harvestor sabots as the factory sabots are about impossible to load. Even with the MMP's and Harvesters, I swab between each shot.

I noticed that my stock was touching unequally on the barrel forward of the front recoil lug so I used a bedding tool and removed a slight amount of wood from the sides so it is now free floated forward of the front lug. I can't say I noticed any improvement.

Are there any other gun related accuracy tips I should try? I have tried about 5-6 types of bullets but the SST's and XTP's seem to work best. I really want to avoid measuring loose powder for sake of convenience.

Anytips appreciated.

Thanks.

GLC said:
I really want to avoid measuring loose powder for sake of convenience.

Anytips appreciated.

Thanks.

Weighing loose powder IS the way, with most any muzzleloader-- if you want to shrink groups. Sorry. :cry:

Okay,

I have 18 years experience with smokeless centerfire reloading and am familiar with weighing powder charges, etc. for the best accuracy so the idea does make sense. I figured that Randy's was the answer I'd get.

Let's say I start weighing powder to work up a good load. I pick a baseline to start at and I measure out 100 grains volume 777 fffg and then weigh it on my powder scale. I get XX grains weight measurement. I weigh out several charges, shoot a couple of groups, and then want to try another increment up or down.

Should I then measure 110 grains volume, weigh it, measure out several charges in that weight and try it again? Or, can I simply weigh another set of charges say 1-2 grains weight heavier that my first weight and try it until I find the sweet spot? If I can do this by weight on the scale, what increment should I move up or down by? 1 grain, 2 grains, 5 grains?

Also, how do you handle bringing all the weighed charges to the range if you can't weigh there? Film canisters?

Additionally, I've read that fffg 777 seems to be the favorite (vs ffg) in the Omega. Seems that the consensus is that the fffg 777 burns a little better, less crud, and more velocity. Have you found this to be true?

Thanks for the help.

GLC said:
Additionally, I've read that fffg 777 seems to be the favorite (vs ffg) in the Omega. Seems that the consensus is that the fffg 777 burns a little better, less crud, and more velocity. Have you found this to be true?

Thanks for the help.

More crud around the breechplug, a small amount less in the barrel, similar velocity, and more recoil.

I once had the same attitude toward loose powder. UNTIL I TRIED IT!!! I had a stroke 14 years ago and have some deficit in my left hand so I also thought pellets were the simplest way to go. I recently tried 100 grains Goex FFFg in my Omega and my groups are about half the size they were with pellets and there's no crud ring to deal with. Just buy speed loaders or use empty 35 mm film canisters and measure 8-12 charges before you head out shoot. I only pay $12.99 per lb. locally so that's about 70 shots per lb. It doesn't get much cheaper than that!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have to give it a try.

Back