Anyone out there ever use a big bore ML for small game hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Been searching around for a few days looking for information on this. And I gotta say that there isn't much to be found. Therefore I am looking for input on this from anyone that has done so. Years ago I shot a gray squirrel with a full throttle big game load out of my .54 Renegade. I was certain the .530 RB would blow the little furry critter to pieces, but to my surprise, it didn't. So, this has gotten ahold of my hankering side now that I once again have a good RB ML big bore.

Please post up if you all have any information on this.

I haven't. I'm sure that most states game laws have restrictions on calibers allowed for small game hunting.

Ive seen minimums but no maximums other than shot size when shooting multiple projectiles (usually like max #2 bird during spring turkey on some wmas)

That said I wouldnt do it with my 54 and a full load. Roundball with 30gr 3Fg and a PRB might come out for fall turkey during ML season.

And this is where a smoothbore shooter will chime in about simply using the right load :)

A number of people have used big bore guns on small game. So you aren’t the first. There might be something to it though. If your bullet lands a little low, the shrapnel kicked up could stun or injure or kill the small animal too. Even the recochet of the bullet would work.

When I was a teenager there was a guy who used a .458 Win Mag for rabbit hunting to good effect. He got a lot of meat for the freezer. They even wrote a gun magazine article about him small game and deer hunting with it.

That inspired me to use one of my .45 cal muzzleloaders for small game hunting too. I don’t remember them making and selling a lot of guns larger than 44 or .45 that were rifled way back when I was young. I don’t remember seeing any larger caliber ones that were not smoothbores.

I would think for any small game like rabbits and squirrels there wouldnt be much left to eat, if for pest control, then no issue....bigger small game like foxes or coyotes again if you are looking to sell the fur, then the smallest hole is wanted, if just to eliminate as pests..not an issue...but 6 cents for a .22lr is a bit more economical than a ML load...if money is no object and you want practice then its whatever you would like to do...

I’ve used .45’s (revolvers) and 54’s for snowshoe hares. hit them in the head and there’s no meat lost. It’s perfect unless you’re one of the squirrel head eaters…
Maaaan, when I was a youngin & watchin my grandparents crack open squirrel heads with crab mallets like in a Faces of Death documentary & eat the brains grossed me out bigtime. It turns my stomach even now to think about that.

Maaaan, when I was a youngin & watchin my grandparents crack open squirrel heads with crab mallets like in a Faces of Death documentary & eat the brains grossed me out bigtime. It turns my stomach even now to think about that.
I know what your talking about. Geez Ma Pa n his 6 brothers would get together when i was young. Eat hot catheads buttered down, tree rat brains n eggs. They did pork brains same way. Now the biggest rifle/ML i have used on small game eating type was a .45 with head shots. I spect you could do well with any accurate big bore shooting them in the head. Just keep the direction you shoot in safety. Them big prb's can do some damage coming back down if used on game up in the trees

I know what your talking about. Geez Ma Pa n his 6 brothers would get together when i was young. Eat hot catheads buttered down, tree rat brains n eggs. They did pork brains same way. Now the biggest rifle/ML i have used on small game eating type was a .45 with head shots. I spect you could do well with any accurate big bore shooting them in the head. Just keep the direction you shoot in safety. Them big prb's can do some damage coming back down if used on game up in the trees
My grandpa told me about such stuff. I wasn’t sure I believed that, the only squirrels I knew about were pine squirrels, damn poor eating in anyone’s book.

Last edited:
I first heard the term " Barkin " used when I was a kid from my kin up in the mountains, referring to using the same rifles they hunted deer & black bear with to shoot skeewhirrels with. Aiming between the tree & their heads to blast the bark into their heads instead of actually hitting them with a big hunk of lead.

I grew up eating squirrel brains..good meat on the gowls too! Stopped eating them when mad cow disease came out. Never affected me a bit, a tall, not much..
Yeah man, thats all just part of normal " country living ". Nothing goes to waste. I'm cool with trying many kinds of new foods, but I draw the line in the sand when it comes to eating brains & some other things....nope, I'll never be that hungry!

My brothers ex girlfriend used to eat squirrel brains! She was always happy when we told her that we were going squirrel hunting! I couldn't even watch her eating a brain, let alone trying one for myself! That's a big, NOPE! 🤮

Years ago I shot a gray squirrel with a full throttle big game load out of my .54 Renegade. I was certain the .530 RB would blow the little furry critter to pieces, but to my surprise, it didn't. So, this has gotten ahold of my hankering side now that I once again have a good RB ML big bore.
I don't know, but I would look at it from an energy problem. You created the energy, so where did it go? Look for ways a round ball would lose energy.
Start by eliminating those things you know are not true.
Was the powder wet?
Could the ball have been slowed down by brush?
Was the distance a factor? (was it over 50 yds? Over 80 Yds?)
Things like that...

A number of people have used big bore guns on small game. So you aren’t the first. There might be something to it though. If your bullet lands a little low, the shrapnel kicked up could stun or injure or kill the small animal too. Even the recochet of the bullet would work.

When I was a teenager there was a guy who used a .458 Win Mag for rabbit hunting to good effect. He got a lot of meat for the freezer. They even wrote a gun magazine article about him small game and deer hunting with it.

That inspired me to use one of my .45 cal muzzleloaders for small game hunting too. I don’t remember them making and selling a lot of guns larger than 44 or .45 that were rifled way back when I was young. I don’t remember seeing any larger caliber ones that were not smoothbores.
I use a 50. Cal accura with lead cheap shots. It all depends on position of game. Squirrels in trees or on ground. In trees shoot the limb that they on about 1 in. Off of them and the shock of the ground or wood just kills them without meat damage. Your gun has to be accurate in shot placement. I scurrel hunt with it all the time the lead is soft and it will fragment and shock wave them and no damage to meat. I trim limbs right under them I have found wood frags that have stopped them and know damaged to the meat.. I use cheap shots sabots they kill anything you want. Round ball kills 2 also . I have shot in front of target and bullet frags and the concussion stops them. It's pretty impressive when done right. I'm also 22 rim bolt fan, I also use blow gun on bird feeders it keeps the unwanted off of feeders pin them to the pole.

I forgot to add that the big bullets don’t do much if any damage to the meat. Granted if you hit the bones in the chest or hip area it might be different. Also the bigger bullets tend to stop the rabbits right where they got hit too. No running down a rabbit hole leaving blood etc behind like .22 rim fires do.

I didn’t have any squirrels to hunt where I lived as a kid. It was rabbits, javalinas, quail and doves. Deer and elk if in season and you got lucky to be in the right spot. I don’t remember any raccoons or possims either. But it was getting mighty crowded with all of the other hunters for deer or elk.

Latest posts

Back