Anyone out there ever use a big bore ML for small game hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round Balls have been used in battle to kill Humans. Why it wouldn't take down a squirrel, I don't know.
Indeed. As I have said, I did, in fact, kill a squirrel long ago with my .54 with a full throttle big game load. Its been many moons the best I remember the shot was no more than maybe 20 yards max. The squirrel was hanging on the side of a large tree. Round ball went in and out doing little damage to the squirrel. Hit it up front near the shoulder area. I still have a picture of me holding that squirrel. I would have sworn the squirrel would have been vaporized but it never. Good powder, short distance.

Within the last month or so I killed a few squirrels using my .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle, .310 RB and 20 grains of 3F. Some simply had a small .310 hole in them on both sides, were as the ones I hit dead center had large exit holes, much like a .22 LR hollow point can do to a squirrel.

I don't know, but I would look at it from an energy problem. You created the energy, so where did it go? Look for ways a round ball would lose energy.
Start by eliminating those things you know are not true.
Was the powder wet?
Could the ball have been slowed down by brush?
Was the distance a factor? (was it over 50 yds? Over 80 Yds?)
Things like that...

Do not be fooled by the energy aspect, especially that generated by ML. Much depends on shot placement, as well as size of the target. I have seen this quite a few times in my life on different critters.

My hunting buddy Mike tells the following story: While out elk hunting in the Colorado mountains with his .50 TC Triumph and Powerbelt bullet, he spots a blue grouse up in a nearby tree. Doing a quick calculation to avoid damaging any precious meat, he holds just a little high on the head. Not high enough. At the shot, he said it looked like someone opened up a feather pillow and shook it out. Then the breeze was such that it all blew back toward him.
He won't be trying that again!

I blasted a opossum one time that was getting in the trash with my 54 cal. There wasn't much left after that 425gr buffalo bullet exploded him. Does that count?

Latest posts

Back