At 400 Yard--300g XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the VIDEO from this morning.

xtp300a.jpg

That first photo shows the smoke from the rifle about 0.1 second after ignition. Had a wind meter with today. Wind started at about 7 mi/hr. Adjusted the windage 9moa into the wind, and the first shot hit about 2' into the wind. Read the wind again, and it was now about 4 mi/hr. Adjusted the windage 4 moa into the wind, and hit about 6" from target. Shot again, and hit a way into a lesser wind. Turned the windage dial to zero, and then hit about a foot down wind. Loaded the rifle, held the crosshair about 1' into the wind, and smucked the pop can. The elevation dial was up 33 moa. The last photo is taken about 1/6 second after impact. Note the plume of pop.

xtp300b.jpg

listen up!! Anybody that can hit pop can at 400 yds. need not worry about shooting distance. You need a ballistic drop card for the field. Again good shooting.

nice nice shooting..the video wont play for me so had to read story and follow pictures...lol...but I always said the XPT's are one good flying bullet...thats some good shooting and also calculations....I ordered a Leupold scope VXR with CDS....but it has the wind plex reticle...for adjusting for windage....I also have a wind meter I use alot at range on windy days...it helps alot....I think mine is a Oregon Scientific...

I like how you are pushing the limits and being successful...great job Ron....keep it up

Al

Great shooting as usual Ron. :yeah: I would love to have a place to try shooting the distances you do.

Great shoot'n!

I'm following along with your wind and calculations. I saved your initial settings from your original post. I put 7mph in the app, then just by guessing used a wind direction of 72°. It calculated 4.33moa or 9.09" Hor.

Al-53 said:
....the video wont play for me so had to read story and follow pictures...lol...but I always said the XPT's are one good flying bullet...thats some good shooting and also calculations....I ordered a Leupold scope VXR with CDS....but it has the wind plex reticle...for adjusting for windage....I also have a wind meter I use alot at range on windy days...it helps alot....I think mine is a Oregon Scientific...
Well, i wish the video would play for you. Yes, i like the cds dial... i paid the Leupold Custom Shop extra to install one in my scope. That windplex reticle looks interesting... hoping to try it in a new scope one day.

Cabelas has those bullets on sale right now.

ShawnT said:
Great shooting as usual Ron. :yeah: I would love to have a place to try shooting the distances you do.

Do a search in your state for Sportsman's Clubs with long ranges. Some will show, where others may not but, its a good start.

That is very good indeed!
I love the video - thanks

I kept going back over & over to see the hit and listen to the report of the rifle (you can see the smoke but the sound has to travel the 400yds) - seems the hit and sound are occurring nearly simulations. Do you know your MV?

Big Splash

This morning it took six shots to produce the hit in the VIDEO. The target was an emptied, then filled with water, five pound Blackhorn container. Even from 401 yard, i could see the big gush of water fly out at impact.

Before the first shot, the wind meter say the wind was 4 mi/hr. The cheat sheet say to dial 5 moa into the wind, it was done. The first shot hit about one foot down wind, and low. The windage was increased to 7 moa, and the elevation raised to 34 moa. The second shot just barely missed down wind. The windage was increased to 8 1/2 moa. The third shot hit a foot upwind, and i could kinda tell the wind had decreased. The fourth shot just barely missed on the upwind side too. Can't recall where the fifth shot hit, but i recall thinking about how the wind felt. The sixth shot i waited until it seemed the wind was right for where the bullet was impacting. A second after pulling the trigger for the sixth shot i saw the jug explode, and water gushing all about. It was exhilarating.

Afterward, the wind meter say the wind varied from 6 mi/hr to 11 mi/hr. Obviously, some luck is involved when one hits the target in these conditions.

Great shooting. To hit a pop can at 400 yards is amazing! You are a heck of a good shot. I enjoy your reports. Thanks.

Your videos finally work for me too. I use free VLC Player which comes with a Firefox plugin.

:applause: :applause:

Awesome shooting Ron.. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ray............ :yeah:

Latest posts

Back