New Renegade with Lewis's bullets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a Nipple that i cleaned in a Bucket of Water, I cleaned the exterior with an Old Tooth Brush, And Swished it Back & forth REALLY GOOD through my Bucket of water, Picked with a Pipe Cleaner, as clean as i could get it. BUT Look at the Crap that stil comes out when i Blast Hot Steam through it, This is the SAME Fouling that Gets left behind in the Flash Channel/Patented Breech when you Clean in the Bucket of Water ONLY, Well here’s your Sign :welcome:
7EbDGsi.jpg

The above is precisely why this ends up Building in the Flame Channel/Patented Breech when you Clean in a Bucket of Water ONLY, You are NOT getting all of the Fouling out (Your Gun oil helps “Mask it” but thats it) You might think you are getting it clean? But you aren’t. If you think you are? I challenge you to Blast Hot Steam through the Breech end for 45 Seconds to 1 Minute, Then Run Dry Clean Swabs Down the Bore, This is what you WILL Get
Ma3sAq8.jpg

OUCH! Hot, Hot, Hot!🔥 🔥 wear some gloves.

Good advice MM, About 10” inches or so of the Barrel gets VERY HOT, and can BADLY Burn ya!! I point the Barrel Muzzle Straight Down so the Water can run out, Then Quickly Swab with Dry Clean Patches, and Oil Good :lewis:

Just be aware that it can have a SERIOUS NEGATIVE Effect on the Clean Cold Bore Shot. Like I said above, I would NEVER do this to a Barrel i planned to Hunt with, and if i previously had? I would make sure i Shot it a Few times, and Cleaned the Old Fashion Bucket of Water ONLY way so it Stabilized out.

The Rifles i Target Shoot get Steam Cleaned through the Breech end after EVERY outing, I want ALL of that Crud out of the Snail/Flame channel/Patented Breech, Then Coated with a Quality Gun Oil to Protect :lewis:

The only thing that causes a BAD POI Change is a DEEP Steam Cleaning through the Breech, And “Slip Fit” Paper Patch Bullets. This proved DISASTROUS for me

Ron should remember this, I was talking to him everyday as i was Battling this Issue, Neither of us could understand what was Happening?

I missed this ENTIRE Target at 50 Yards for 3 Days in a Row with the Cold Clean Bore Shot, I have NO idea where the Cold Bore Shot was going? But it was off by FEET, This Target was like 3 Ft X 3 Ft Square and i never Touched it :oops: CRAZY!! After the AWOL Cold Bore, They would Group right in the Center.
VKhuy9B.jpg

I do remember that. It had us scratching our heads.

Here is a Nipple that i cleaned in a Bucket of Water, I cleaned the exterior with an Old Tooth Brush, And Swished it Back & forth REALLY GOOD through my Bucket of water, Picked with a Pipe Cleaner, as clean as i could get it. BUT Look at the Crap that stil comes out when i Blast Hot Steam through it, This is the SAME Fouling that Gets left behind in the Flash Channel/Patented Breech when you Clean in the Bucket of Water ONLY, Well here’s your Sign :welcome:
7EbDGsi.jpg

The above is precisely why this ends up Building in the Flame Channel/Patented Breech when you Clean in a Bucket of Water ONLY, You are NOT getting all of the Fouling out (Your Gun oil helps “Mask it” but thats it) You might think you are getting it clean? But you aren’t. If you think you are? I challenge you to Blast Hot Steam through the Breech end for 45 Seconds to 1 Minute, Then Run Dry Clean Swabs Down the Bore, This is what you WILL Get
Ma3sAq8.jpg

I'm starting a new job next week and am taking a 25% pay cut so money is going to be less disposable than it has been. In lieu of a steam cleaner which would be a few hundred bucks in my rip-off country what would you suggest?

I have some hard bristle pipe cleaners, would that help keep some of the crap out or is there another way?

I'm starting a new job next week and am taking a 25% pay cut so money is going to be less disposable than it has been. In lieu of a steam cleaner which would be a few hundred bucks in my rip-off country what would you suggest?

I have some hard bristle pipe cleaners, would that help keep some of the crap out or is there another way?
Pressure cooker might direct steam well enough to get it.

Pressure cooker might direct steam well enough to get it.

That would definitely work :lewis: Get a length/piece of High heat silicone Tubing & connect it the Port on a top of the Pressure Cooker, You could either use an Actual Flush Nipple, or Drill out an Old Worn nipple and use it, Thread it in the Nipple Hole of the Barrel, lay the Barrel aside. Slip the other end of the Tubing over the Nipple. And Turn heat on to the Pressure Cooker. Once it got Steaming Good, it only takes a Minute to do the Job

This 1/4-28 is For TC, Green Mountain Etc., You would need the Metric one for Pedersoli, Buffalo Arms sells it as well
1/4-28 Thread Black Out Flush Kit

That would definitely work :lewis: Get a length/piece of High heat silicone Tubing & connect it the Port on a top of the Pressure Cooker, You could either use an Actual Flush Nipple, or Drill out an Old Worn nipple and use it, Thread it in the Nipple Hole of the Barrel, lay the Barrel aside. Slip the other end of the Tubing over the Nipple. And Turn heat on to the Pressure Cooker. Once it got Steaming Good, it only takes a Minute to do the Job

This 1/4-28 is For TC, Green Mountain Etc., You would need the Metric one for Pedersoli, Buffalo Arms sells it as well
1/4-28 Thread Black Out Flush Kit

I don't have a pressure cooker either but I do like the ingenuity!

How much do you think it would cost to ship a steamer to Australia from Michigan? I have a second one that i would send to you if i can find out whats actually involved in sending a gift over there. If its a birthday or Christmas gift there wouldnt be duties or taxes, maybe? Just shipping costs? A few gov't forms maybe?

How much do you think it would cost to ship a steamer to Australia from Michigan? I have a second one that i would send to you if i can find out whats actually involved in sending a gift over there. If its a birthday or Christmas gift there wouldnt be duties or taxes, maybe? Just shipping costs? A few gov't forms maybe?

That's a very generous offer mate, but the cost of shipping i imagine would be more than expected. It was $25 to post a leather recoil pad from BACO and that package was tiny.

On the forms and such its really not that bad here, you may have seen my thread trying to find the legal side of importing some conicals. I spoke with several govt departments here and in the US and in the end even I was surprised. Australia required one form to be filled out and that was it, the US side was nuts. The govt required a person even if it was a guy from the forum sending them as gifts to get a weapons export license, register with the customs and border, dept of state, ATF and maybe another from memory.

Yes but a steamer isnt lead or firearms related. So sending it should be a bit easier. I looked on fedex, ups, and usps. Usps was by far the least expensive at $89. I wonder, too, about Amazon?

If you were to try and purchase on Amazon , I got to believe it would say just what shipping cost would be involved for your part of the world.

Yes but a steamer isnt lead or firearms related. So sending it should be a bit easier. I looked on fedex, ups, and usps. Usps was by far the least expensive at $89. I wonder, too, about Amazon?

Yep definitely easier, i was just going off on a tangent as I do.

I had a look at AmazonAU and there was nothing much under a couple hundred bucks.

I did see this on the kart website, reckon it would do the job?

20210223_080601.jpg

Back