At the range tonight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
i tried the 195grn Knight/Barnes out of my Savage. I think i was pushing it to fast. :? I weighed out 40grns of 5744, and the bullets were all over the place. The average MV was 2649 tonight. I was blowing the Sabot apart. Does that really matter :?: :?: I'm thinking if i can get this bullet around 2300fps it will shoot :idea: Any suggestions are welcomed. 8)

I've found that sabot integrity decreases with the rigidity of the bullet. Barnes all copper bullets are really rigid. Likewise 5744 is a pretty fast powder. I'd consider 4759, VV-110. You can likely get the speed you stated and likely considerably more if you want it but will need to use a little more of a slower powder. Even enough VV-120 should work but I think that the 2 previously mentioned powders should work well.

Grouse said:
i tried the 195grn Knight/Barnes out of my Savage. I think i was pushing it to fast. :? I weighed out 40grns of 5744, and the bullets were all over the place. The average MV was 2649 tonight. I was blowing the Sabot apart. Does that really matter :?: :?: I'm thinking if i can get this bullet around 2300fps it will shoot :idea: Any suggestions are welcomed. 8)

A muzzle velocity that high with that charge of 5744 just makes no sense. Don't confuse shearing petals with "blowing sabots apart"-- the blue MMP's lose the petals all the time for me, and it is meaningless.

5744 is a slower powder than SR-4759 or N110, one of many examples is here: http://www.varmintal.com/pburn.htm .

The primary difference with AA5744 vs. the N105, N110, N120, and N130 Vihtavouri's is that 5744 is a double-based powder, the "N100" series Vihtavouri's are all single-based.

Maybe i am shooting to close to the Chrony :?:

Baddayattherange.jpg

Why not drop down to about 35grains or so? I had similar speeds with 44gr of 5744 and 200 SST's

If it makes you feel better, Grouse, I spend all afternoon with 5 different powders and could not get the 195's to group. :shock:

After that ordeal, with some very cool false chrono readings breaking 4000 fps-- went back to Barnes 300 MZ's.

Two different guns, same sub 3/4" groups @102 yards. :roll:

Latest posts

Back