Ball Point Bullet Captured

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BuckDoeHunter sent these ball point bullets to be captured. Trap is a carpet sample glued to a piece of 3/8" plywood in front of six water jugs backed up by a thick phone book. Distance to the trap was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80 grain Blackhorn. A crush rib sabot was used in an Omega rifle; primer was a W209.

The bullet completely destroyed the front two jugs; blew the side out of the third jug, and went through the fourth, and fifth jugs. It bounced off the sixth jug, and was found on the horse under the fifth jug. The sixth jug seemed undamaged, but when examined it was found to have been hit hard enough to cause a slight leak, and was ruined for further use. The bullet retained it's weight.

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

Looks acceptable.
$1.33 each
I assume 50gr is next?

Side note - is it cold there?

Well, i am 99% sure the bullet wouldn't work if the charge were 50 grain Blackhorn.

It has been bitter cold here. The snow was powder, and one would think perfect for hunting. However, it has been so cold the soft powder snow squeaked when walked upon, and there was no way to be sneaky. Luckily, one morning, the 27th, deer walked to me, whilst i was studying the gps, and my season ended.

This morning, it was a balmy 35°, didn't even wear a coat. :mrgreen:

Thank you! So far, so good.

I have that bullet loaded in my 45 cal. RemBrux for our late muzzleloader hunt. I asked that the bullet be shot with 80 grains of powder since they will be leaving the barrel of my SML at 2550fps. I'm guessing the critical velocity at around 1200fps for good expansion which would be at 385yds, that's further than I'm going to be shooting this year.

I too would be interested in the 50gr test. I'll try to send more bullets out.

I'd like to see that bullet penetrating a 1/4" carpeted piece of plywood, then thru any water jugs behind it.

BuckDoeHunter said:
Thank you! So far, so good.

I have that bullet loaded in my 45 cal. RemBrux for our late muzzleloader hunt. I asked that the bullet be shot with 80 grains of powder since they will be leaving the barrel of my SML at 2550fps. I'm guessing the critical velocity at around 1200fps for good expansion which would be at 385yds, further than I'm going to be shooting this year.

I too would be interested in the 50gr test. I'll try to send more bullets out.

There is one bullet left; i will give it a go using 50 grain Blackhorn.

GoexBlackhorn said:
I'd like to see that bullet penetrating a 1/4" carpeted piece of plywood, then thru any water jugs behind it.

Trap is a carpet sample glued to a piece of 3/8" plywood in front of six water jugs backed up by a thick phone book.

Is there a reason for the 1/4" request vs the 3/8" that was used?

GM54-120 said:
GoexBlackhorn said:

Trap is a carpet sample glued to a piece of 3/8" plywood in front of six water jugs backed up by a thick phone book.

Is there a reason for the 1/4" request vs the 3/8" that was used?

That 1/4” is a bullets worst nightmare! LOL!!

I did not see your top-of-the-post statement on carpet/plywood/phone book used.

My bad.
Thanks for letting me know.
3/8s is gooder than 1/4 BTW...
Impressed by that bullet. That ball at the top reminds me of handgun ammo I've seen (Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball)

Im impressed by the bullet also. The question was serious though because without going back and looking at previous tests i wasn't sure if Ron changed something. He is pretty good at keeping the tests the same and noting any changes.

In my opinion that is AWESOME bullet performance! Exactly what i would want in a Big Game bullet

GM54-120 said:
Im impressed by the bullet also. The question was serious though because without going back and looking at previous tests i wasn't sure if Ron changed something. He is pretty good at keeping the tests the same and noting any changes.
Am not sure how many bullets we have captured, but it seems like it is around 80. Every capture was done using carpet glued to 3/8" plywood in front of the water jugs, every capture!! Nothing can be changed if one wishes to use these captures to compare bullets.

I used to use a swaged bullet of the same configuration in another 45 cal gun I had with really good success. I'd sure try these but that near $14.00 flat shipping charge for 20 bucks worth of playthings is a bit much. My math shows $2.2666 per bullet. Might as well be buying A-Frames at that price per shot.

Back