Barnes 250 TMZ or Bloodline for Whitetail?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dedduc

Reaction score
Looking to find the best bullet there is for my Mountaineer. All shots would be under 200 yards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find out which each will do on paper out to that 200 yards. I'm a Barnes guy myself when using the BH209 guns. Smokeless? I will be using the Fury .40 225 I am pretty certain. I'm not big on having pieces and parts of a bullet migrating thru meat I might want to eat. They both will kill a deer.

Looking to find the best bullet there is for my Mountaineer. All shots would be under 200 yards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Personally, I use Bloodlines and now SSK Brass bullets. I would not even consider changing at this point.

But, right now I believe you might want to look at this SSK bullet. 458x265CF-HP with a Harvester Crush Rib Sabot. I have shot several of them and they are really accurate. The CF function on these works down to 750fps. Awesome bullet.

20220927_154707.jpg

I am waiting on a box of the SSK bullets to see how they compare to Barnes in my inlines. Any load data or impressions you would care to share would be much appreciated.

I will be using them for deer in an area that sight lines don’t go much beyond 125 yards…

I'm pretty sure those are the ones. I'm waiting and hoping they start making the 260 gr ones again. They shot so good out of my 45 moutaineer

03mossy

Yes, those are the ones! 90 grains T7 by volume will drive these bullets really well and because they will work down to 750 fps - it will do an outstanding job!

Check these threads out...

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/429346-update-ssk-458x260-265cf-brass-bullet.html
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/429348-do-new-brass-bullets-ssk-work.html
These bullets were originally made as a full bore 45 bullet, but the powder cup walls were machined to thick to work. So Dave added the Harvest sabot and said shoot them in a 50. I did and they shot great.

I am waiting on a box of the SSK bullets to see how they compare to Barnes in my inlines. Any load data or impressions you would care to share would be much appreciated.

I will be using them for deer in an area that sight lines don’t go much beyond 125 yards…
I can share this information. It says Lehigh bullet but it reflects the SSK version also.

Lehigh-458x260-Sabotless.jpg

I’ll post in the success story section when we get home but my son got to test out an SSK bullet on a buck today. Let’s just say we are believers now!

Back