BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2895.JPG

The BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB was provided by anonymous.

IMG_2877.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse was 25 yard. The load was 50 grain Blackhorn Powder.

The bullet went through the carpet/plywood, blew up the front jug, split the front of the second jug wide open, then bounced off the backside of the second jug. The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth jug were undamaged. The bullet was found in the grass almost in a straight line back toward the rifle. The bullet flew over half way back to the rifle, maybe 15 yard.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

It didn't get the penetration I would have guessed. Expansion is perfect.

Ron......I forgot. Did you ever test the 250gr T-EZ bullet? That's what i'm using this year.

that would of penetrated to the other side of a deers chest.

uote="Muley Hunter"]It didn't get the penetration I would have guessed. Expansion is perfect.

Ron......I forgot. Did you ever test the 250gr T-EZ bullet? That's what i'm using this year.[/quote]

Pete,

Yes, did the same with the TEZ. Did it twice. Once using 50 grain Blackhorn powder. Again using 80 grain Blackhorn powder.

When using 80 grain the TEZ went through three jugs, and expanded nicely. Then it bounced off the fourth jug, and fell straight down to the ground.

IMG_0487.JPG

When using 50 grain Blackhorn the TEZ went through five jugs, then missed, and ended up about 15 feet away. When found, it was jammed up with plywood, and carpet.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Great! Thanks, Ron. That sure shows how expansion affects penetration.

I was thinking about Ron's tests, so I went back and looked at them, specifically the Barnes bullets. It seems the Barnes bullets from 185gr - 250gr, go to about the third jug, with very good expansion and weight retention.

Good results for sure.
Ron's 50grV test shows the Tips seem to be the main problem with expansion at this speed. Summery of all 50grV test are in LR section.

52Bore said:
ronlaughlin said:
Tips seem to be the main problem with expansion at this speed
Overwhelming evidence of it in your test.
Actually, we’ve proved a large HP is needed for expansion as well.

One has to recognize that when used with normal hunting charges, those bullets don't slow to that speed until in most cases beyond 200yds. Much farther than over 95% of hunters will shoot at game.

Capture_250_Expander.jpg

I thought that is what he was trying to show at what velocity and yardage they stop working. I guess I must have missed something. I don't think anyone thinks they don't work at all.

45cal said:
I thought that is what he was trying to show at what velocity and yardage they stop working. I guess I must have missed something. I don't think anyone thinks they don't work at all.

You're correct to a point Bob. But the tests don't provide the entire ballistics information, nor do they normally state at what range the bullet/s may fail, only an approximate velocity through the test media used. That's why the posted the ballistics information, so one can compare the yardage with the approximate velocity of the test.

Looks like a person would be good to at least 200 yards ? I would think that would cover 90 percent of hunters ? Lots of good bullets out there . Shot placement is where at.

I cant imagine all the time Ron has put into these test . Thank you Ron for your time .

Back