Bear Creek 45 Caliber 240g Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for testing. I think that I will stick with the Barnes 195 gr Expander, 250 gr T-EZ, and 290 gr T-EZ in my .45s. They have served me well since 2011. They are plenty accurate.
Do you by chance use the 250 and 290 in a 45? I have never tried a solid copper, bullet to bore.

Yes, I shoot them land rider. I have to knurl them. I use an Eastern Maine dry wool wad.
Ok. Are you using standard black powder/black horn loads or smokeless? I’d really like to try it if it’s standard loads.

Ok. Are you using standard black powder/black horn loads or smokeless? I’d really like to try it if it’s standard loads.
Only smokeless. Never tried BH209 in any of my SMLs and my one .45 smoker has too slow of a twist rate 1:30. My SMLs are 1:22 twist.

Only smokeless. Never tried BH209 in any of my SMLs and my one .45 smoker has too slow of a twist rate 1:30. My SMLs are 1:22 twist.
Ok, I have a 1-20 fast twist mountaineer. I wasn’t sure if black horn would have enough pressure to get the bullet to engage the rifling?

....wasn’t sure if black horn would have enough pressure to get the bullet to engage the rifling?

Me neither, but seems kinda like it would.

The bullet in the photo, a Fury 300g lt was bumped into the rifling using only 50g of Blackhorn.

fury300lt.jpg

After shooting the bullet into the carpet, plywood, and bottles, it was examined for rifling marks, and expansion. Note the rifling engraved in the bullet. Fifty grain Blackhorn powder was enough to bump the bullet into the rifling. Is it strange the bullet is soft enough to be expanded into the rifling, but didn't expand much from the impact with the bottles?

This bullet was hard enough to blow through a carpet sample, a piece of plywood, and 6 one gallon bottles of a water into a phone book. The bullet obturated the bore pushed by only 50g Blackhorn

I know this is an older post but i thought i would add my 2 cents…I am
Not surprised one bit that it didn’t expand very much..although I will say it did far from fail .. bear creek pushes these pretty hard. With their factory ammunition from my m77 450 I was getting 2560 fps on average with them with the chronograph roughly 15 feet from the muzzle. Here is the same bullet from factory 450bm ammunition on a hog at roughly 90 yards, bang flop situation. IMG_2210.jpegIMG_2208.jpegIMG_2209.jpegthat being said..for a muzzleloader I wouldn’t use these unless it was a good smokeless platform

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back