Bench Shooting in the Wind

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
Being that I'm from Saskatchewan, I more often than not have to shoot under windy conditions (at least 10-12 miles/hour). Under these conditions I've set up streamers to try and judge the wind.

I try to shoot under consistent wind conditions to get groups, but does anyone try and shoot for the wind by compensating for it? And, does this type of shooting tell us anything about the load, or is it just good shooting practice and nothing more.

Do I just have to wait for those rare calm Saskatchewan days to shoot in order to properly evaluate a load? What does everybody else do?

I wish it was only 10-12 mph here. :?

As long as it isn't gusty, to zero a gun-- I'll move the target to shoot directly into or with the wind.

For practice after you have your load / gun zeroed, then it doesn't matter. I carry a little windmeter so I have an idea of what drift I'm getting at a specific wind velocity / angle.

I try to zero in a little to no wind situation, then I confirm it over several more range trips. If it is windy and I am allready zeroed I shoot and yes I do compensate for the wind. Good practice for hunting.

Back