EXTREME LONG RANGE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying your pulling off the scales too soon, what I'm referring to is not letting the scales warm up 20-30 minutes before weighing your charges. I have notice a variance in my RCBS 1/10 grain scale when going too soon.
I work with electronics and expensive test equipment all the time, and they even need to warm up in order to stabilize and settle in before you can get good and consistent readings.
I'm not saying your pulling off the scales too soon, what I'm referring to is not letting the scales warm up 20-30 minutes before weighing your charges. I have notice a variance in my RCBS 1/10 grain scale when going too soon.
I work with electronics and expensive test equipment all the time, and they even need to warm up in order to stabilize and settle in before you can get good and consistent readings.
I've let mine warm up for an hour, still won't throw a reliable load.

Do you have fluorescent lighting near your scales? The ballast in them can give off harmonics that will affect scales.
My shop has them but they are at least 6 feet above the scales, once mine settles in for about 20 minutes they are pretty good to go.

I do let the scales warm up for at minimum 30min per the instructions ;)
I also calibrate it multiple times. I take a lot of time trying to get it the best I can.
With exact charges by weight, exact bullet weights, and even using a force gage to seat the bullets on the propellant, I'm starting to agree with some of the top shooters, that single digits are not possible with BH.

Do you have fluorescent lighting near your scales? The ballast in them can give off harmonics that will affect scales.
My shop has them but they are at least 6 feet above the scales, once mine settles in for about 20 minutes they are pretty good to go.
Yup, I do, but they're also 6' above or away from the scales.

How about LED??

Okay, just to add my two cents again. I do warm up both scales. No, I do not have any lighting in my reloading room that would affect the scales. After, doubling checking the RCBS scale against both beam and the i120, it does not throw consistent enough loads for me, for my long range shooting. If you're only using the RCBS, you really have no way of checking how close each load is, unless you have something to compare it with. I originally thought it was pretty close until I bought the i120. After the RCBS has stabilized and it says the load is perfect, I then double check that load on the i120. The variance was too much for me, up to .5 =/- (which means two comparable loads could be off one full grain). Depending on age, gender, income, and present stage of marriage, some may feel the i120 is to expensive. I get that. But for me it works and when I screw up a shot, I know it's not the load, it's me.... Cheers everyone!

Lot’s of posts on accurate shooter about zero drift and fake drift.
Roger That. And it doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure out
that cheap scales are not a Solution Set when dealing with ELR. Not even with the best Line Conditioner.

I luvsmesum two A&D FX-120i scales topped with their AutoTricklers (V3 and V4).
There are titration scales @ Georgia Tech and Emory that are envious of my line conditioners.

Roger That. And it doesn't take the integral f(x) by separation of parts to figure out
that cheap scales are not a Solution Set when dealing with ELR. Not even with the best Line Conditioner.

I luvsmesum two A&D FX-120i scales topped with their AutoTricklers (V3 and V4).
There are titration scales @ Georgia Tech and Emory that are envious of my line conditioners.
Using the scales, have you ever used BH209, verified the charge weights and bullet weights and did a velocity test? If so, any results?

So how accurate are balance beam scales compared to the high dollar digitals?
Speed and Accuracy of digital blows a balance beam scale out of the water.
Go ask the finest institutions what type of scale is used in their chemistry classes.
Scales used for titrations can measure your fingerprint oils.

Back