EXTREME LONG RANGE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the scales, have you ever used BH209, verified the charge weights and bullet weights and did a velocity test? If so, any results?
I have not, sir. I shoot 3, 6, 1K and 1 Mile using short action cartridges. It is my affliction.

I just use a PACT (DPS) for BH209 for 77.0gr measurements and giggle whenever I'm at the 300 yard line.
I'm scared to enter the ELR front loader rabbit hole.

I have not, sir. I shoot 3, 6, 1K and 1 Mile using short action cartridges. It is my affliction.

I just use a PACT (DPS) for BH209 for 77.0gr measurements and giggle whenever I'm at the 300 yard line.
I'm scared to enter the ELR front loader rabbit hole.
There is NO BOTTOM to the ELR rabbit hole ;)

If I were shooting SML I believe I could get things in the single digits. However, with BH209 it may be impossible just because of the propellant itself.

When we're at Camp Atterbury and shooting 1K, any significant change in velocity makes a huge difference in the POI when using BH209. A 30fps difference in MV can average 2moa at 1K.
There's still a cap on the amount of BH209 that can be utilized also and it remains at 120grs VOLUME or 84grs weight. At 1k, the bullets start to go transonic prior to 800yds where they go subsonic with my 45cal. and 1:19 twist.

If I were younger and in better physical shape, I'd have another rifle built specific to ELR. It would definitely be a 40cal with a maximum of a 1:16 twist.

There is NO BOTTOM to the ELR rabbit hole ;)

If I were shooting SML I believe I could get things in the single digits. However, with BH209 it may be impossible just because of the propellant itself.

When we're at Camp Atterbury and shooting 1K, any significant change in velocity makes a huge difference in the POI when using BH209. A 30fps difference in MV can average 2moa at 1K.
There's still a cap on the amount of BH209 that can be utilized also and it remains at 120grs VOLUME or 84grs weight. At 1k, the bullets start to go transonic prior to 800yds where they go subsonic with my 45cal. and 1:19 twist.

If I were younger and in better physical shape, I'd have another rifle built specific to ELR. It would definitely be a 40cal with a maximum of a 1:16 twist.
Don't know George I managed a 95 4x I think with mine at 1000. Think about guys shooing real black

Don't know George I managed a 95 4x I think with mine at 1000. Think about guys shooing real black
95-4X is a screaming good score! That one will be VERY hard to beat. The best I ever did was 89-1X at 1000. [NRA Black Powder Target Rifle current natl. record]

45-100 high wall, 1:18 twist, 6X scope, Swiss F powder, 530 gr. postell bullet.

Bullet goes sub-sonic around 200 yds. X

When this weather breaks, practice out to 600yds will start. Range roads are open from what I understand.

When shooting and playing with the Garmin, I decided to check and verify my cheek rest height, which I felt was ever so slightly high.

Today was an adjustment day ;)

I had issues the last couple years with the old rail loosening up and replaced it with the FG-Force from Farrell Industries. I decided that while I was adjusting, I may as well remove the scope and verify that the FG rail was where it was supposed to be and at torque. I found it PERFECT!
The spacers came out and the cheek piece was lowered 1/8", much better both for bench and prone.

The scope was mounted, which will be very close, so another 100yd zero will be first.
120grs Volume of BH with 300gr.

Back