bh209 Vs. powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey0127781

Reaction score
I have not handled the new powder. most likely never will. so if any member that has some I am going to ask ya if you could do a little test with it on some powerbelts. all the reports I have seen have been with sabot loads and little bit of all lead conicals.

love to see how it works with powerbelts.

thanks corey

Corey, BH209 requires a 209 ignition. All i have are #11's sidelocks and 4f flintlocks. I to would love to see what it does with a powerbelt, Maybe we can get Flint Head to try some out. In fact, he was going to try the 270g platinums out in his KP1. More than likely with BH209.

what ya say flint head. could ya give it test for us pleaaasssseeee :(

my wife would kill me if I buy an $30+ powder, it is hard enough for me to talk her into letting me buy an $16 powder.

shoot, just remembered, I still owe her roses because I bought my apex off jon. :geek:

10-4, I was going to use tripple tomorrow but for you guys I'll try 80 grains of BH209 in the old KP1... BH is not that much faster than 777 so if it groups well I should still be OK on critters.

By the way, I don't have a chrono but the pamplet say that load should get the 270 Platinum out the barrel at 1549 fps.

Thanks a bunch flinthead, you're going to be helping a lot of BH209/Powerbelt shooters out. Dont be afraid to push them up to 90. I did 100g pyrodex select and they held together very well. My rifles shoot them best with the lower 80 grain charges.

I just shot 348GR Aerotip Powerbelts with 95grains of BH209 out of an Omega(50 cal) @ 100 Yards and basically got the same pattern results as when using 100 grains(2 pellets) of Triple Seven with the 348grain Powerbelts. I haven't checked the speed difference between the two yet but intend to do so in the near future.

jerseybow said:
I just shot 348GR Aerotip Powerbelts with 95grains of BH209 out of an Omega(50 cal) @ 100 Yards and basically got the same pattern results as when using 100 grains(2 pellets) of Triple Seven with the 348grain Powerbelts. I haven't checked the speed difference between the two yet but intend to do so in the near future.
What kind of groups did you get? Any hang fires or delays? You BH209/Powerbelt shoots just might push me over the end to buy the new cva inline and a can of BH209 :x

Admin said:
jerseybow said:
What kind of groups did you get? Any hang fires or delays? You BH209/Powerbelt shoots just might push me over the end to buy the new cva inline and a can of BH209 :x
oh no. jon. that is going to break your heart how. your wallet yes.

jerseybow, thanks for the info, great, does this mean i am going to have to find away to buy an can and do some test out of the apex. once I get some loads working.

Admin: Didn't have any delays but had two hangfires due to excessive breechplug grease. After removing a good amount of grease from the breechplug and chamber I had no problems. It should be noted that I never had this problem with Triple Seven pellets. I will carefully apply the grease on the plug next time out and see if it occurs a third time. I got 3" groups at 100yards and I shot 1 1/2 cans of BH209.

personal mistakes will do it. I am not really into this bh209, namely I only have one 209 rifle. it may be have to get some to do test with powerbelts . may have to hide from the wife for a little while but it be worth it. jon you got room at your place, or saxman do ya have room :pale:

I will try to find some BH209 localy and put some platinum 270 through the encore,I have a chrony so I will get that info as well.
I am new to range testing so any advice would be great.

keep an note book.
shoot 5 shot groups
do your loading, setting, and sighting all the same way(close as possible)

and post results on both here and huntingnet. maybe MM.

I was telling Admin earlier tonight. I finally got some BH209 & my.50 caliber CVA Pro Magnum Kodiak -209 to the range this week end.

The Rifle appears to LOVE 80 grains of BH209 pushing the 245 grains Powerbelt Aerotip.
At 100 yards my first 2 groups were 7/8 inch & 1-18 inch.

It didn't do as well with 295 grains PB hollw points. & TC 250 grain SST's.

Both of the later grouped about 2-1/4".
After reading about the BH209 for amonth , I was a little disappointed with those groupings. But I haven't tried different powder weihts yet..

PROS= 14 rounds fired total. No Hangfires, no cleaning barrel between shots. Elapsed time for firing 9 shots was about 30 minutes. Breachplug was removed easily for cleaning . Final cleaning took less than 6 patches -TOTAL. Final cleaning was with Hoppe's #9 Copper solvent, including faces of the breach plug.

CONS= COST....My 10 oz. can cost $34.00 with 5 of us sharing the cost of sending for 8 cans.
Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord & Clare, MI is charging 36.95 PLUS tax. If I drove the 42 miles over there and back with the $4.15 per gallon of gas, that can would have cost me $50.00

Another thing....the .245 grain Aerotip powerbelt slipped down the barrel with very little pressure applied. BUT...the TC Shockwave sabot was another story. I was afraid I was going to break my ramrod. I had to grasp the rod about 6" at a time to seat the SST. The Powerbelt Hollow point
went down the barrel about halfway between the Powerbelt Aero tip & the TC Shockwave as far as pressure goes.

All in all. I was happy with the BH209 & the Powerbelt 245 gr. aerotip. & the CVA Kodiak Magnum. My friends here in NW Michigan have had pretty good results with the Powerbelt bullets, so far on deer. Our deer run about 100 to 150 pounds. And a 200 yard shot would be a LONG shot. I have yet to shoot a deer with blackpowder. I have shot 25 deer over the yaers. The longest shot was 125 yards and 3 shots at as close as 17 yards.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. That;s my story & I'm stickin to it. Good luck fellers!!!

Thats some great shooting there. Some times you just have to fiddle around with an assortment of bullets,powder,primers to find the mother load.

thanks for the info. if I can get some local, I will get some and give it a test. maybe while I am get some while I am in FL, saw a big box sporting good store on the way down, maybe I can talk to miss' into stopping. I think it is in jacksonville. saxman may know. or so other FL guys.

shot some 338 gr platinums with 100 gr volume ( 71 gr weighed)
BH209 this AM in Omega. Win 209 primer. Iron Sights 50 yds. Not good. Thinking I should drop to 80 gr volume and start over. Reloaded quickly and shot. Thought perhaps the bbl heat was messing with the skirt. I knew I was going to shoot low because of front sight. Have a new one coming but the left to right was bad. Any ideas?

It could be the rifles barrel. Some TC's will do powerbelts, others won't. Have you ever shot powerbelt Platinums out of the omega with a different powder?

You can try 80 grains and see how that does. I haven't really seen to many TC's shooting the platinums very well lately. I'll see how my omega shoots the copper series powerbelts in a few days.

Latest posts

Back