bh209 Vs. powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hunt one of the logging reads just out side of west Augusta. going to try goshen pass this year. if I get time

smokepole said:
Admin.: Here's a link to the write-up (with photos) I did on another forum (Kifaru):

http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161883&page=1#Post161883

As far as the shot, internal damage, etc., she was quartering toward me at about 60 yards when I pulled the trigger, she humped up like they do when they're hit well, and ran about 50 yards and stood there for 30 seconds or more, then fell over. There was an exit hole on the off-side, farther back like you'd expect, and high on the rib cage since she was a little bit above me. This is the fifth cow I've killed with the 348 grain Aerotip, but only the first exit wound; with the others I was using 100 grains 777 and the bullets that I recovered were pretty much pancaked and just under the off-side hide.

I use the "gutless method" of field dressing so I didn't open up the chest cavity and look at the internal damage so I can't help there.

Corey: Interesting that you're from Staunton, I grew up in VA and hunted the GW National Forest a lot. One of my favorite spots was the Ramsey's Draft Wilderness, the only buck I ever got mounted came out of there.

Congrats on your kill
The pictures were great as was the story.
I would like to do a horseback pack in hunt someday.

Latest posts

Back