Big woods hunting in Maine or New York

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbyjoe Surrett

Reaction score
Ok so this is off the wall and out there kinda. I have for many years to many to remember actually wanted to go hunt the big woods in the snow and track down one of these monster bucks I see on YouTube. Here is my problem with that I can and will go by myself if I have to but I have a buddy that wants to go also he is a felon but in nc can use any blackpowder firearm, bow, or Crossbow what are the stipulations for him being able to hunt up there or can he even hunt with blackpowder during the normal gun season. Also I'm having a hard time finding hunting license fees for out of state hunters it's awfully confusing any help is appreciated and welcomed

Ok so this is off the wall and out there kinda. I have for many years to many to remember actually wanted to go hunt the big woods in the snow and track down one of these monster bucks I see on YouTube. Here is my problem with that I can and will go by myself if I have to but I have a buddy that wants to go also he is a felon but in nc can use any blackpowder firearm, bow, or Crossbow what are the stipulations for him being able to hunt up there or can he even hunt with blackpowder during the normal gun season. Also I'm having a hard time finding hunting license fees for out of state hunters it's awfully confusing any help is appreciated and welcomed
Expensive and hell no on felon in NY

Honestly id just go to Pennsylvania alot easier and cheaper

I've hunted northern Maine, (Ashland) area many times in November. There are big deer and even bigger woods.
The weather can be a challenge some years. Snow and bitter cold. Tough place to hunt. I haven't been in about 8 years but as I recall, nonresident tags weren't too bad. Under 200 bucks. You'd have to consult the Maine hunting regs to find out about your buddy.
I've also hunted New York and Vermont, both have some big deer too.
I'm pretty sure that Vermont makes exceptions for someone with a felony conviction in that they could hunt with a muzzleloader but it couldn't be an inline, traditional only.
But things could have changed as its been a while since I've been up north.
Again, You'd have to check the regulations for sure.

Thank you now I'm starting to get somewhere with this thread. I've read something's online that say if your a felon you have to put in for a permit don't know what that means. I like big woods we have them here at home in western n.c. but hardly ever have the snow
I've hunted northern Maine, (Ashland) area many times in November. There are big deer and even bigger woods.
The weather can be a challenge some years. Snow and bitter cold. Tough place to hunt. I haven't been in about 8 years but as I recall, nonresident tags weren't too bad. Under 200 bucks. You'd have to consult the Maine hunting regs to find out about your buddy.
I've also hunted New York and Vermont, both have some big deer too.
I'm pretty sure that Vermont makes exceptions for someone with a felony conviction in that they could hunt with a muzzleloader but it couldn't be an inline, traditional only.
But things could have changed as its been a while since I've been up north.
Again, You'd have to check the regulations for sure.

Thank you now I'm starting to get somewhere with this thread. I've read something's online that say if your a felon you have to put in for a permit don't know what that means. I like big woods we have them here at home in western n.c. but hardly ever have the snow
I'm originally from New England, snow I know, Lol.
We have some big woods here in southeast Oklahoma along with the mountain country. Rarely snows out here too but I'm good with that.

I've found out that much finally. Only 130-150 bucks for out of state hunters. Better that Tennessee they want 435

Contact Maine's or New York State's Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. They should be able to get you the needed information. At least about laws and fees. Not sure about the felon thing. I believe in Maine, felons can only bow hunt. Not sure about muzzle loader. Definitely not with regular firearms though.

Ok thanks probably be tomorrow before i can call the busy work hours. Thanks for the advice and knowledge looking for all I can find out

I hunt Maine for bear and get license online from their site $115 for NR I think . If going in the North Woods it’s $50 for the week to access the woods and free for 70and older .

A non resident NY big game muzzleloader/archery/regular season was $180 last year.
I don't know about the felon part, but google should answer that easy enough, I'd think.

Back