Blown Sabot & Hunting Load, .45 McRem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out to try a duplex load of 5gr Clays International/55gr IMR4198 with the Harvester smooth blue sabot and a Hornady 200gr SST, didn't work, blown sabot, I knew it blew when the POI hit a foot low, oh well.

I thought I would shoot a 250gr TEZ sabotless to see if my barrel was plastic fouled, sure enough, the POI was a few inches lower than where it should have been.

I then shot a single powder load of 60gr IMR 4198 with a 200gr SST to see if the TEZ bullet helped to clear some of the plastic residue away, it seemed to work, the POI was back in the group.

Sabot Shooting
100yds
200gr SST/195gr BX (knurled)
Harvester smooth blue sabot
W209 primer
60gr IMR 4198
furthest left was second shot :wall: always one, oh well, tweaked my shooting technique after that one
fouling shot is top center, 7 shots there, where is 7 :huh?: , I wish I knew, I don't think I missed the target :mrgreen:
a67ea40d-3ba7-4483-869d-07e0b8acf6d5_zpsk8awvryi.jpg

After the sabot shooting, I loaded up with duplex sabotless loads, most likely my hunting load this fall :D
100yds
5/60gr clays Inter/IMR 4198
250gr TEZ, light knurl
.060 veggie wads
W209's
bottom hole is the shot after the blown sabot as mentioned above and was not shot with the 4 shot group
c0035252-1d6f-40a5-bc5e-0938290dff68_zpskxwzgrkb.jpg

Clays probably spikes pressure a bit fast for sabots. Have you tried the duplex with N110, SR4759 or 5744 under the 4198?

Something like 10/50 or 10/46. 60gr total may also be a bit rough on sabots in the heat.

I wish I could find those powders :nono: but the local store is still out. I was hoping only 5grs of the Clays didn't boost it too much but it did. Maybe this fall I will try it again but the sabotless TEZ is what I wanted to hunt with so no loss.

Accurate XMP 5744 should be the easiest of the 3 to find but im not real fond of it. SUPER easy to ignite though with around 20% nitro.

That TEZ group is excellent. They shoot will in my McRem too. I only use sabots in one gun now and it is a 50.
Scott

Unless you will be shooting in temps below 25F you probably don't need to duplex. In warmer temps straight 4198 works fine for most. Then not so much quick spike on the pressure. W

Last year when it was my turn to hunt, it was -5*F, not windchill either, so I'm not taking any chances :mrgreen:

I will try another powder for the booster when some becomes available. I wanted to keep the different powders to a min. but this means only more range time, yes a terrible thing :roll:

Back