Brass?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Which factory brass have you reloaders found to be the most true and able to withstand the most loadings? Not considering Nosler, Lapua or high dollar brass.

Doohan said:
If not Lapua, I always use Hornady.

Absolutely Lapua! Why is Lapua better? For some reason, their alloy and heat treat just makes a more durable case. And the workmanship is absolutly flawless. Also, Lapua manufacturers their cases with the intention of being re-loaded. They even say this in their adds. I can remember in years past when other manufacturers didn't even recognize handloading as a viable endevour. Lapua actually encourages it. Lapua doesn't offer a lot of calibers so it is even a good idea to pick a caliber that you can get Lapua brass. I'm leaning toward the .222 Remington instead of the .221 Fireball for that very reason.

I was thinking more along the lines of Federal, Winchester and Remington. But keep on talking, Im learning.

MQ32shooter said:
I was thinking more along the lines of Federal, Winchester and Remington. But keep on talking, Im learning.

Norma($$) and Sako brass are very good as well...just not as good as Laupa. Basically brass quality goes like this from top to bottom:

1.Lapua-far and away
2.Norma/Sako
3.Everything else

MQ32shooter said:
Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

I don't really think it will matter all than much then... Just use brass from the same lot.

Chuck who carries Lapua .222 Rem brass? I looked in Midway and they didn't offer it?

MQ32shooter said:
Is Lapua making .270 brass?

No sir they do not. IMO...your typical .270 Win is not designed or thought of as a"tack driver." Some may very well BE tack drivers but generally are just good-shooting hunting rifles. Most feature non-bedded actions, slim-profile barrels, and generally aren't designed for anything more than "hunting" accuracy. THEREFORE...I really don't see the need for any better brass than run of the mill Remington, Winchester, Hornady, or Federal brass. If you want to get fancy buy a couple hundred and sort them by weight then trim those to the same length as the shortest case in that group. I have a Dakota Model 76 .270 Win and I use non-sorted(but trimmed to the same length) Winchester brass. If you WANT top quality brass...look to Norma or even perhaps some of the new Nosler brass.

Chuck who carries Lapua .222 Rem brass? I looked in Midway and they didn't offer it?

Try http://woodchuckden.com/ or http://www.shooters-supply.com/bullets_and_brass.html

While weighing brass I discovered that Winchester brass is about 4-5 grains lighter than the Remington brass that I have been using. Is Winchester generally the better of the two. I have approx 50 Remington brass and about 25 Winchester brass.

MQ32shooter said:
While weighing brass I discovered that Winchester brass is about 4-5 grains lighter than the Remington brass that I have been using. Is Winchester generally the better of the two. I have approx 50 Remington brass and about 25 Winchester brass.

I used to think that..maybe slightly. W-W brass is generally heavier than its R-P counterpart for the same caliber. But I've seen no case life, accuracy, or weight standard deviation difference. This mainly with .223, 30-06, and 22-250 calibers. It wouldn't matter to me.

Latest posts

Back