30-06 reloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already have an accurate factory load , you can kinda reverse engineer that load using OAL and velocity (if known). As an avid reloader I can tell you a load that shoots bug holes in one gun may shoot a 3" pattern in another. What MichaginMuzzy said...use a load from a manual, start low and work your way up. What Bronko said it true, loading below min can cause excessive pressures. Your H4350 will work nicely from my experience (53 gr is on the border of the minimum powder charge).

110-125 Varget , 150-168 RL 16 , 170-180 Superperformance Has been been doing great for me. 2 shot ladder test is helpful if you haven’t tried. Works for me.
Best thing about an 06, it shoots everything well . Some loads great!
My two ba hunting rifles. 721 Remington & Christensen Ridgline.

110-125 Varget , 150-168 RL 16 , 170-180 Superperformance Has been been doing great for me. 2 shot ladder test is helpful if you haven’t tried. Works for me.
Best thing about an 06, it shoots everything well . Some loads great!
My two ba hunting rifles. 721 Remington & Christensen Ridgline.

That’s good to hear about Superformance. I was given a pound by the owner of the reloading store I frequent. They dropped it and broke the lid so it couldn’t be sold. I bought a pound of Leverevolution powder and he gave it to me. I’ll have to give it a try.

I loaded a bunch of test rounds with Winchester StaBall 6.5 (as well as a bunch with H4350), using 172gr Speer Impact bullets last week, in preparation for an elk trip this fall. Just haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet.

I loaded a bunch of test rounds with Winchester StaBall 6.5 (as well as a bunch with H4350), using 172gr Speer Impact bullets last week, in preparation for an elk trip this fall. Just haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet.
What do you think of the StaBil 6.5 powder?

Last edited:
With 168 gr SMK's we always loaded H4895 or AA2495 (nearly identical powders) in my National Match M1 Garand I shot as a teen (before I got an M-14/M1A). That was a DCM rifle loaned to the state's Jr rifle program, and with our pet load it shot around 3/4 inch at 100 yds off the bench... 10 shot groups.

Well, I'm going to offer my 2 cents. I love the 06 and own several I haven't shot factory ammo since the 70's when I started reloading. I probably have 6 or 8 reloading manuals from several manufactures. And have noticed the newer manuals have really lighten the powder charges. It is simple 30/06 has been around for say 118 years with that many older guns of who knows what condition the Lawyer's and manufactures are loading them down. Look at the new hot rods 6.5 Creedmoor, PRC, ETC. little chance of these modern guns being in weaken condition, so they are pushing them harder. Most won't be around in 100 years..

That’s good to hear about Superformance. I was given a pound by the owner of the reloading store I frequent. They dropped it and broke the lid so it couldn’t be sold. I bought a pound of Leverevolution powder and he gave it to me. I’ll have to give it a try.
Superperformance did very well in my Ridgeline 06. 180 AB’s. .040 jump , 58.4 g Fed 210 & Lapua case. Ladder tested to get there. Powder and jump. The Speer 172 Impacts did not group as well as the 180 AB’s from the loads I tested.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Picked up a bunch of once fired Greek surplus 06 brass a guy was shooting at the gun club with his Garand. I will be loading these with 150 FMJ Hornady bullets and IMR4064 to be used in my CMP Winchester Garand.

Superperformance did very well in my Ridgeline 06. 180 AB’s. .040 jump , 58.4 g Fed 210 & Lapua case. Ladder tested to get there. Powder and jump. The Speer 172 Impacts did not group as well as the 180 AB’s from the loads I tested.

I was able to find a box of 180g AB on the way home yesterday, so I’ve got a couple of options to see what shoots the best.

Picked up a bunch of once fired Greek surplus 06 brass a guy was shooting at the gun club with his Garand. I will be loading these with 150 FMJ Hornady bullets and IMR4064 to be used in my CMP Winchester Garand.
Greek surplus brass works great. You'll have to deal with the primer crimps and trim to size, but it reloads fine.

Greek surplus brass works great. You'll have to deal with the primer crimps and trim to size, but it reloads fine.
Yes I have both small & large pocket reamers and case trimmer. Been reloading since the mid 1970s so I have lots of reloading equipment. I also remove the pockets in the 5.56 brass. Hoping to see if CMP restocks on Greek surplus.

So I too have a number of 06 rifles from an early Win 70, Rem 722 to a 1952 Mannlicher Schoenhauer and one 30-06 AI. This is one cartridge that could actually use it’s own book. I use as I recall up to five different powders depending on load. But when you consider that this cartridge shoots everything from 125 to 220 grain bullets you can understand that not one powder will suffice, OAL’s and seating depths vary from bullet to bullet. Every weight change in bullet and design takes another page in the book. And I don’t even touch on military loads
Rick

So I too have a number of 06 rifles from an early Win 70, Rem 722 to a 1952 Mannlicher Schoenhauer and one 30-06 AI. This is one cartridge that could actually use it’s own book. I use as I recall up to five different powders depending on load. But when you consider that this cartridge shoots everything from 125 to 220 grain bullets you can understand that not one powder will suffice, OAL’s and seating depths vary from bullet to bullet. Every weight change in bullet and design takes another page in the book. And I don’t even touch on military loads
Rick
That is one of the things ive struggled with, SO MUCH info. So many load data sources. It took me a while just to decide on which bullet to start with. My dad had tried so many different types and brands of ammo because he never was happy with it(scope base was nearly falling off). 150-180 seems the most common hunting weight range so im starting at the middle of the middle, 168gr hpbt. Should be a good accurate target and hunting bullet. We’ll see what happens.

I know what you mean after a while you can go information blind comparing loads with different manuals. Same weight bullets + - 1 gr and get six or so different powder and load numbers. I think this is a great formula for selling reloading products especially with the hard core or guy who by his nature wants to push and push until he hopes to find the golden load. I was that guy years ago. Wring out one cartridge and start on another and another. TC was my best friend I could just get another barrel. But eventually I needed more rifles, bullets, powder, primers, presses, patches, brushes, bore guides, scopes, scope bases, $$$$.

Anyway there is no One Perfect Load or a three shot one hole group there is just ‘ Close ‘ . Actually Muzzy I think your mid weight 165-168 bullets and load are probably the smart move with such high performance bullets available. When I lived in Idaho everybody hunted elk with 180 to 200 grainers which could bust up big shoulder bones but the solid copper bullets now will do the same with lots less recoil. Today all I need are two muzzle loaders, 30-06, 25-06 and 222 ( handguns of course ) . Funny all three cartridges are derived from the old 30-06.
Rick

It is information overload for sure. I decided to start with one powder and several different bullets. I figured I would try another powder after that until I get what is acceptable to me. It may take a while but that’s the fun in it.

30/06 is one of the first cartridges I started reloading. It’s fairly forgiving. I use 150 grain fmjbt. I now reload all calibers I own. I chose 150 grain because it plays well with .300 blk and it’s cheaper. For 30/06 I used h380 now I probably have others that will work too.

Glad to hear you are reloading my friend imo you could not have picked a better caliber to reload with. Tons of reload info out there. Hodgdons(can never spell it right) is free. Lees is a good print option.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Latest posts

Back