30-06 reloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since ive got some time on my hands right now im going to start reloading for my dads Winchester 70. Right now ive got some Federal once fired brass from it, in the tumbler. I have 50 of PPU 168gr bthp bullets and im thinking that I will start with 50gr of H4350. I do have other powders but i think this will do to start. Anyone else loading similar? Got any pet loads?

Since ive got some time on my hands right now im going to start reloading for my dads Winchester 70. Right now ive got some Federal once fired brass from it, in the tumbler. I have 50 of PPU 168gr bthp bullets and im thinking that I will start with 50gr of H4350. I do have other powders but i think this will do to start. Anyone else loading similar? Got any pet loads?
According to my records, IMR4350 is what I used for 150-165 and 180gr bullets.
The 165gr and 180gr bullets were very accurate using....... FROM THE SPEER #10 RELOADING MANUAL........ 56.5grs IMR4350

I’ve been loading 06 for about 50 years. Go by the book and you can’t go wrong. I won’t share my loads because of safety concerns.
Im definitely going by the book, Hodgdons book, on this one. Several different books have slightly different min/max loads listed. This seem like the lowest to start.

According to my records, IMR4350 is what I used for 150-165 and 180gr bullets.
The 165gr and 180gr bullets were very accurate using....... FROM THE SPEER #10 RELOADING MANUAL........ 56.5grs IMR4350
Ive seen min/max ranging from 49.1 to 59.5. Between different books. Im using the current Hodgdon online info. Got a couple other listed powders to try if i have no luck with this one.

I’ve got everything to load 30-06 but haven’t loaded any yet. I planned on trying both 4895’s and Varget.
IMO those powders are too fast for the 06. 4064 and 4350 are about your best choice. 4831 is a good choice too but I don't think its,available anymore. I was never a big fan of the Reloader line. I had 2 bad experiences with them.

I've only loaded 30-06 once, and that was to make some low recoil hunting ammo for a buddy who got a new gun for his kids at the height of an ammo panic.

Used 125gr TNTs with a just-below starting charge of Win748.

I get almost all of my reloading data from Shooter's Reference Cartridges - they collate manufacture published info into a nice filterable interface.

Their 30-06 data - https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/30-06-springfield/
Awesome, thank you. After i double check all my info i may revise my start load to 52gr of H4350

In 1958 my dad and a few others bought 50 pounds of 4831 in a wood barrel delivered by rail. We worked up several excellent loads for the 06's and I still have some that was loaded in the 60's. Since 4831 is considered a "dirty" powder it should not be used in gas operated autos. 4064 was a powder we also liked but was not as cheap as the 4831.

I have shot 5,000 rounds through my Carl Gustaf (Husqvarna) .30-06.
I bought it at the Berlin Brigade Rod & Gun Club in 1976 (Yes that Berlin).
The one load that has killed hundreds (deer, antelope, bear):
55 grains IMR4350, Large Rifle Primer, 165-168 Hornady SP.
2700-2800 fps..

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Its always good to start with the reloading manuals and start with the recommended starting loads. That being said, the manuals are an excellent guide. The maximum loads listed in them can be exceeded IF you Know what you're doing and what to look for. I do not recommend exceeding maximum charges for anyone new at loading. Also just as a point of information, I've reloaded for dozens of cartridges and out of all of them there was only one rifle that liked a maximum + charge. All the others shot tighter groups with less than max loads.
I've also found that manuals from 55 years ago list higher maximum charges for some loads than today's manuals. Not sure it this is because of better pressure reading equipment or different powder formulations.
Be aware too that loading below minimum charge can also result in excessive pressures.

Its always good to start with the reloading manuals and start with the recommended starting loads. That being said, the manuals are an excellent guide. The maximum loads listed in them can be exceeded IF you Know what you're doing and what to look for. I do not recommend exceeding maximum charges for anyone new at loading. Also just as a point of information, I've reloaded for dozens of cartridges and out of all of them there was only one rifle that liked a maximum + charge. All the others shot tighter groups with less than max loads.
I've also found that manuals from 55 years ago list higher maximum charges for some loads than today's manuals. Not sure it this is because of better pressure reading equipment or different powder formulations.
Be aware too that loading below minimum charge can also result in excessive pressures.
Oldest info I've looked at was a 2022 Hodgdon manual. Hodgdon lists the min/max with this brass and bullet at 53/59. Hornady, who makes a bullet same weight and type(hpbt 168gr) lists h4350 min/max as 49.1/58.5. I feel safe with staying in there. Although I havent look at it in QuikLoads yet.

Back