I need brass for 9.3x74R?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it IS anO/U double. Didn't know this. Will reduced loads will just hit low? Or just anywhere?
Depends low or high the distance you shoot will matter also the bullet will be in the barrel longer with the reduced velocity and the gun will be recoiling which will raise the barrel some depending on how you are holding the gun it could be different from shot to shot you will need to try

it wont matter too much at 50 yards for target practice, etc
Yes it will. For example, in my 9.3x74r Chapuis SxS double, a light cast bullet load with the same weight bullet as jacketed will shoot one hole groups with each barrel, 5” apart, and 5” low at 50 yards. A “proper” load will put 4 shots (2 left, 2 right) in 3/4” groups shooting to the sights.

If the loads are too fast, the shots will cross. Too slow, and they are apart.

If can't find H4895, what next powder is best?

5744 would do well. In fact, a quick google search for "9.3x74r reduced loads" turns up this link, where it is specifically listed...

https://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_big_bore_loads.htm

If you can't find 5744 (and it was 15% higher priced than most other powders 4 years ago when I bought the bit that I have) then I would start looking for cast bullet data, possibly using one of the pistol or shotgun powders. If you need to go in this direction I'd reach out to Hogdon to see if they can/will provide data.

Go to the Shooters Reference website it has all the powders I listed and more . You can find reduced and full power and all between

Back