Breach Plug Lesson

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typical10

Reaction score
After four years of shooting the ml2 I learned another lesson. I've neither read or heard anything on this exact thing but I probally just missed it.
I'm fortunate to have a position that allows me to shoot in the mornings all summer and early fall, and I'm again preparing for a couple adventures around North America with my ml2. Last weekend I prepared my shooting box with 60 grain vials vv n120 and 300 gr. hydra cons and 300 gr Barnes. Sitting at the bench locked and loaded the rifle misfired 3 times before firing, then it was a delayed shot. All along I noticed backpressure exiting the two side holes behind the breech plug, so I put another fresh breech plug in and again misfires and backpressure releasing from the two holes behind the breechplug. However when I loaded it with 5744 and a 300 gr bullet it shot good, but still with backpressure leaving the holes, with the primer hot to the touch and expanded in the extracter.After considerable thought that night I put a brand new B/plug in, the backpressure was contained in the B/plug as it should, and the first 3 shot group of n120 & 300 gr barnes went 1 1/4 group, no misfires.
So the bottom line to this, 5744 is extremley easy to ignite comparitivly, and the b/plug /primer end does wear.
Jeff Haugland/Iowa

typical10 said:
After four years of shooting the ml2 I learned another lesson. I've neither read or heard anything on this exact thing but I probally just missed it.

Any chance at all of a ventliner missing or completely eroded? :?:

All three vents were 50 shots or newer, all in tight. All were from your first batch. I know it's sounds crazy, but everything was in check.
J/H

Savage would likely appreciate looking at your breechplug. Likely there is distention of the breechplug threads.

Most people don't shoot enough to ever notice-- but, you bet breechplugs can wear. In fact, all barrels wear-- everytime you pull the trigger.

Those two plugs were bought together last fall, for extras. The new one was purchased in March this year. I ordered two more yesterday.
J/H

Thanks for the update. When i go hunting, the last thing i want to worry about is if the gun is going to go BANG. 5744 will be my hunting powder without a doubt. Very good post. Thanks again :)

When i go hunting, the last thing i want to worry about is if the gun is going to go BANG.

Nothing else matters if it doesn't! :shock:

How much are breechplugs for the 10 ML-II anyway? I know I always buy xtras for my other MLers and never usem so I shouldnt treat my 10 ML-II any differently. :lol:

Yes, the primer pocket. Winchesters fit almost perfect, the federal primers stretch the pocket so to speak.The b/plugs that I received yesterday, federal primers will not fit unless One would do a little grinding, drilling, or dremeling the shoulder of the plug.
J/H

Thanks Darrell, learned my friend Randy can save me a few precious bucks which I surely appreciate. :D

typical10 said:
Yes, the primer pocket. Winchesters fit almost perfect, the federal primers stretch the pocket so to speak.The b/plugs that I received yesterday, federal primers will not fit unless One would do a little grinding, drilling, or dremeling the shoulder of the plug.
J/H

I have the same issue. Winchester's are a perfect fit. Federal's dont fit very well at all. No problem, i just use Winchesters. :)

Latest posts

Back