450-453 shallow Groove Mcgowen- Woodman arms barrel project, 100 bullets, preliminary notes.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout out to Woodman arms and McGowan barrels, the shallow groove hand lapped barrel I'm shooting has been phenomenal, it's actually shooting as good if not better than any of the barrels I've ever had my hands on, I was not expecting that out of McGowan necessarily, I have high demands on a barrel and you can get a good one and sometimes and not so good one from the best people I don't like the role of the dice aspect but a lot of times that's what it is, this particular barrel is very even, Mark told me that he had hand lapped it and it shows, it also is showing in the groups and consistency. Both of the Pitman aromax bullets the 300 grain and the 350 shoot excellent I'm shooting n120 with both bullets, I am shooting his headspaceable module plug with the small reservoir inside of it ,the barrel and the powder and bullet combination just keeps flirting with one hole, I keep doing stupid shooter things that are stopping it but it's fixing to happen, I was going to shoot this group again today for score and thought I had my scope set last night only to realize on the first shot today that I didn't so I will not shoot a group for score again without shooting a sighter right before I shoot the group. This gun will shoot like this constantly the northern Precision 275 pinpoint it only shot around 3/4 of an inch fixing to shoot some Fury bullets in it this coming maybe next week or the next couple of days but very excited about the potential that I see in Shallow Grove again in another couple of years I hope to arrive at least in my own mind to the perfect groove depth and the only way I'm going to achieve that in my own mind is just shooting over and over and over and letting that consistency show itself. It's an interesting Journey for me being a fanatic if I had to prognosticate and look into the future when I've arrived at that place I definitely know it's going to be a 17 or 18 twist Barrel and probably something around 454 or 455 in Grove depth but I'm willing to change that, I have no preconceived measurement that I wish for it to be only the one that is the most accurate and again it's going to help all of us, this 453 has got me looking at the whole picture a little different. Five shots oh and I don't know what happened to that satellite out there in space that one got away from me it's in orbit around the black hole!!!

Attachments

• 20240509_105520.jpg
    20240509_105520.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Back