scope adjustment question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im going to be shooting the ssk 458/265 gr 50 cal with the supplied sabot. i will be using 90gbw of bh209. my current load is a 300 gr harvestor white lightning using 70gbw bh209. i was shooting a couple inches high at 100yds with that. my question is with this lighter bullet and hotter load should i go ahead and adjust my scope to shoot lower to start with or just send one down range and go from there. my thinking is im going to be shooting higher than i was with the lighter bullet any thoughts are appreciated thanks

I agree, don't move the scope until you have tested the new load.

Here would be my method. Assuming your load/gun groups well then 3-5 shots (5 is better in my opinion if you can't get 3 to touch) and then adjust your scope to move the group where you want it. I hold zero on the center of the group and carefully adjust the scope until your crosshairs are dead center. Some hold zero dead center and move the crosshairs to the center of the group. I move windage first then up or down. If you are grouping well (1 inch or less) then this method is easy, accurate and quick. Some may disagree but it works very well for me.

I would not move anything until you shoot it. As was mentioned its good to know where it shoots in relation to your other load. The other reason is a lighter faster bullet may not rise as much to 100 and may actually shoot lower than your other slower load. Also, different bullets and loads just tend to have no rhyme or reason and may be way left/right or up/down from your last zero. Just shoot and find out!

Leave as is and adjust if necessary after printing a small group.

You wont be far enogh off to miss paper

Shoot a group and adjust vertical (most likely to need biggest change) then another group and adjust horizontal

I can tell you from experience on centerfire changing bullet grain weight or powder charge is not always registered as a vertical poi shift. I assume this is true of muzzleloaders as well.

Latest posts

Back