camping in the AZ desert

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsman1

Reaction score
I live in Tempe, AZ and here I am not allowed to  park my camp trailer in my driveway or anywhere else for that matter, weird. So, I go buy a tent, mattress, sleeping bag, the works so I can go camp in the desert. I went out this morning with a smile on my face as I was going to have some fun, do some fishing, enjoy some peace and quiet eat well to. It's 79 degrees today, and the forest service has shut down the campgrounds to only day use. I couldn't believe it. So I return home, call the forest service up and question them. Turns out the campground is open Friday thru sunday. Being retired, I like to camp during the week while everyone else is working. Well, folks, they're going to reopen the campgrounds in the summer after it 110-115 degrees.
   I guess my advice is to NEVER move to Arizona, it's a weird place to live people. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Can't park a camp trailer in your driveway? What a dumb law. What's their reasoning for that?

Muley said:
Can't park a camp trailer in your driveway? What a dumb law. What's their reasoning for that?
Often that is home owner association rules. They want to keep the neighborhood 'tidy' 
to keep real estate values up. Over use of HOA rules are also used to intimidate and harass 
anyone a board deems undesirable. Not all work that way. But...they can and have objected 
to a lot of dumb stuff.

That can mean hanging an American flag, being minority, liking old cars and not hiding them 
in a garage, having boats and campers in view, and playing basket ball in your drive way...

I hate to assume bad things, but I know a lot of Arizona is grumpy and unwelcoming. That 
camping rule? It seems like it makes no sense. Since it does not, I look for reasons that would 
make it make sense. In this case, legal camping out in wonderful weather might be seen to 
encourage homelessness in the parks. I know it sounds stupid. (shrugs) I have encountered a lot 
of stupid recently.

Theres a lope hole,, file your self a mining claim on some forest service land ,,Should be able to camp up to 2 weeks at a time, It works in Oregon ,,,

Well, all this is a city ordenence passed by the city council it'self. I don't know or understand it, but upon questioning the city on it I was told I could buy a dang permit to park in my own driveway for $450 a year. My wife supports all this crap to.  They tell me this crap, yet theres motorhomes, trailers, boats on trailers all over the neighborhood, they haven't enforced the law in years. So, I told the wife I was bring my camp trailer down here and she got bent out of shape, I guess she got a ticket for a trailer in her driveway once so she won't allow me to do it, she owns the house and property. Don't ever move to the Phoenix, aZ area, I call it hell myself. Actually I live in Tempe, which borders Phoenix.

Come to Alabama, camping in NF all year long. Great weather, except for the middle of the summer.

I have a home in the White Mountains of AZ and up there we have no such rediculas rules, I can camp all summer wherever I want to. Different forest so different rules I guess. Down here in hell they seem to think everything is resort quality so to put up a tent is around $45.00 and in county parks it's $30.00 per night, $6.00 day use. I need to go back up the mountain where I have freedom.

Every time I drive to a big city (not often), I get depressed and just want out RIGHT NOW.

BTW 25,000 is big to me.

Latest posts

Back