Cleaning jag woes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking at Track of the Wolf muzzleloaders, they have brass cleaning jags with steel threads. Guess I'll be placing an order.
Back a couple of years ago Idaho Lewis pointed me in the direction of Tresco Jags and rods which have proven to be great. His reasoning for using them was that they had steel threads and weren't so easily broken or bent.

Update, this morning I unscrewed the touch hole liner on the flintlock rifle and dropped 5 grains of 3f Swiss in, reinstalled the liner, primed the pan and touched er off.
I placed a plastic jug on the ground just a few feet in front of the gun.
The jag blew right through the jug and went somewhere. I couldn't find it. Must have buried itself in the ground.
I'm all set now till the next time.

Well if you have oil in the bore chances are any powder you put in will get contaminated in a hurry. The grease gun method would work but it is really messy. The first thing I would try is to find someone with a compressor and a blower/inflater attachment and remove the touchhole and blow the jag out.
If that doesn't work I suggest you point the muzzle down for an hour or two to allow any oil to flow to the muzzle then remove the touch hole and swab the inside of the breech with a Q-tip to dry it. put in a bit of powder and, VERY IMPORTANT, push the jag back down onto the powder and fire it out with the muzzle in a safe direction of course.

Back