Cleaning jag woes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the range yesterday morning with the flintlock rifle for a few shots.
When I got home and cleaned up the gun, I was just about finished up. Put everything all back together and ran the very last oiled patch down the barrel.
Up the up stroke, the jag snapped off of my range rod and is pleasantly stuck about 4 inches down the barrel.
I couldn't find the jag I normally use so I used that kinda long brass one that comes with the CVA Optima V2 pistol and rifle.
The thing snapped at the threads.
I haven't decided yet on my best approach for removing the stupid thing from the barrel.
I don't know how or why it snapped, guess it don't matter now but I would not recommend that anyone use that jag.
The other one that I have is going in the trash.

I have my 32 Cal and my 45 barrel finish for my underhammer project I'm fixing to start sticking jags and breaking rods the same as you , I'm learning from your experience how you solve this cuz I know I'm going to face the same thing down the road.

I’ve broken off a number of brass jags in the barrel while rushing to reload in the field. Frustrating - but without a patch on them I can just dump them out. Will be interested to hear how you remove it. Good luck.

I might unscrew the touch hole liner and dribble a little powder in there, 5 or 10 grains and just shoot it out.
I've seen Idaho Ron's method with the grease gun.
Last night, I poured a bit of alcohol down the barrel to saturate the patch and let it stand upright for a few hours. Then I tipped the gun upside down. I haven't checked it yet this morning.

If you have an airgun with a tapered or rubber tip put it against the flash hole. Unless the jag is REALLY jammed, 125psi will blow it right out. Powder dribbled in thru the flash or grease pumped in (if you can match the threads) will also work but are messy.

Perhaps Idaho Ron's method of using a grease gun to pump grease through the flash hole and down the barrel? I am assuming one can screw in a zerk fitting once the flint mechanism is removed.

Really long needle nose pliers?
That would definitely resolve the problem. :lewis:

If you do the "dribble powder, shoot it out" technique, be aware that unless the obstruction is pushed in solidly atop the powder, you run a very real risk of putting a bulge in the barrel. I've shot an embarrassing number of dry loads, cleaning patches, and two broken rods - all from percussion guns, never a flintlock.

Always dribbled a very small amount of powder, but enough that the drum "hole" wasn't obstructed by whatever the problem de jour happened to be. Worked most of the time. Anyway ...

I had the same jag snap in a Optima years ago all the way to the bottom. Easy fix with it but a flinty is a different story. Good luck with it. There's more clever minds here than mine. I'm sure that there will be a bounty of good advice!

I had the same jag snap in a Optima years ago all the way to the bottom. Easy fix with it but a flinty is a different story. Good luck with it. There's more clever minds here than mine. I'm sure that there will be a bounty of good advice!
I hear ya, at least with the Optima, unscrewing the breech plug is easy enough.

I would try shooting air thru the flame channel first. It has worked for us in the past.
Be careful whatever method you use.
Good luck getting unstuck.

Just keep the bbl pointed in a safe direction!
As edmehlig said , keep that barrel pointed in a SAFE direction ! It's easy to get caught up in getting it out and not paying attention where that barrel is pointed.

Latest posts

Back