Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences? UPDATE: Range report!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences? UPDATE: Acura MR ordered

I have an Acura MR Nitride Muzzleloader and it shoots most bullets pretty well.

Re: Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences?

Tannhauser said:
sawtoothscream said:
Tannhauser said:
Okay, I just placed my order for an Acura MR Nitride. It should be here by the end of the week.

It's not great timing, as I'll only have two weeks to work up a load. And those two weeks are my last chance to get in any bow hunting before ML season starts. Last year I had places to hunt bow, ML and rifle lined up in August. getting permission has been much harder this year. :?

I am hoping this Acura MR is one of those that shoots most everything reasonably well.

I ordered the MR and a leupold ultimate slam on Saturday, should have it this upcoming sat. Have a few different bullet options here ( 250 & 300SST and 240 and 300 XTP ) Feel like a kid waiting for xmas :D

Like you im really hoping it wont be picky, really want to use the 300gr XTP's.

Well, in an earlier post silentstalker showed some excellent 100 yard groups with 300 gr XTP mag bullets, so there's at least one data point in favor of that bullet.

Let us know how your load development progresses. It would be interesting to see results from multiple Acura MR rifles in the same thread.

ill post up what I find. Probably be a couple weeks though.

Re: Considering an Acura MR Nitride rifle for this season - thoughts, experiences? UPDATE: Acura MR ordered

my gun and scope are arriving today :) still have to wait for my range membership to get renewed and my torque wrench and orings to arrive. Cant wait

sawtoothscream said:
my gun and scope are arriving today :) still have to wait for my range membership to get renewed and my torque wrench and orings to arrive. Cant wait

My Acura MR arrives this Friday, just in time for me to go out of town over Columbus Day weekend. :(

I think right now I'm going to mount a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32.

Tannhauser said:
sawtoothscream said:

My Acura MR arrives this Friday, just in time for me to go out of town over Columbus Day weekend. :(

I think right now I'm going to mount a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32.

received my scope, went with the Leupold ultimate slam based on the great reviews it gets from a few guys i know, fedex says the gun is suppose to be here today but it hasnt updated since it left montana :? Dont think I will see it today, hoping I see a update before the day ends.

If anyone is looking for one of these let me know.

Me.

Muley Hunter said:

Offer a fair price and its yours. Its only been to the range no hunting at all. You have my email

just arrived, fit and feel is awesome. Came with the durasight mount already on it, idk if they torque and loctite that at the factory or not, will probably double check that. Comes with their fire pin removal tool which is nice.

tossed the scope on to see that it looks like and have to say I cant wait to get to the range. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks and feels

sawtoothscream said:
just arrived, fit and feel is awesome. Came with the durasight mount already on it, idk if they torque and loctite that at the factory or not, will probably double check that. Comes with their fire pin removal tool which is nice.

tossed the scope on to see that it looks like and have to say I cant wait to get to the range. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks and feels
It will

herschel conyers said:
sawtoothscream said:

It will

now if only the gun club would hurry up and send my new badge :wall: should be all ready by next thursday to fire it

My Acura MR has finally arrived. Handled as well as the floor model I liked at earlier this summer.

I'm going to use the Durasight base for now, but will most likely upgrade to s DNZ mount at some point.

I ordered a BH209 plug form another vendor, so hopefully that arrives soon.

I have high hopes forgot his ML.

Tannhauser said:
My Acura MR has finally arrived. Handled as well as the floor model I liked at earlier this summer.

I'm going to use the Durasight base for now, but will most likely upgrade to s DNZ mount at some point.

I ordered a BH209 plug form another vendor, so hopefully that arrives soon.

I have high hopes forgot his ML.

The base that comes with it worked very well for me. Enjoy your new ML.

sawtoothscream said:

I have a Optima V2 nitride rifle that also has the durasight mount installed. I asked CVA on facebook if they loctited this mount and they replied that they do not. I took mine off and loctited it myself, haven't been to the range as of yet to check accuracy after doing this, but I feel better knowing that it has been done.

toytruck said:
sawtoothscream said:

I have a Optima V2 nitride rifle that also has the durasight mount installed. I asked CVA on facebook if they loctited this mount and they replied that they do not. I took mine off and loctited it myself, haven't been to the range as of yet to check accuracy after doing this, but I feel better knowing that it has been done.

my torque wrench arrived today, plan on remounting it and adding loctite. thanks. Dying to try my MR but my gun club is extremely slow when it comes to renewing memberships. hoping it arrives this week, but doubting it.

toytruck said:
sawtoothscream said:

I agree. I Loctite every screw involved in a scope mount, regardless of the manufacturer's recommendations/suggestions. Even a slight loosening in a mount, less than can be easily detected by hand, can throw off accuracy a noticeable amount. A dab of Loctite is cheap insurance IMHO.

did you get to try your gun out yet?

sawtoothscream said:
did you get to try your gun out yet?

Not yet unfortunately. I had a FedEx SNAFU to deal with, and by the time I had the rifle in hand I was swamped with work and family commitments. I'm hoping to mount the scope this week, and take it to the range this coming weekend.

I was checking my ML locker, and right now all I have on hand for sabots/bullets are some 240 gr .44 caliber Hornady XTP and some T/C 240 gr lead Cheap Shots. I ordered a box of 300 gr .452 XTP Mag bullets and a variety of sampler packs from MMP on the way as well.

I just bought an MR and love it so far.. Was a little pressed for time with it with an up-coming season so I threw on a scope and took it to the range to shoot. Didn't bore sight but had a big piece of cardboard to shoot at and only shot 75 yds as I was using it for a bear hunt and shots would have been under 50 yds in thick mountain laurel. First shot was 12 in. low and directly under bull. Made adjustments and next 2 shots were in the bull about an inch apart. Good enough for now. Didn't get bear I was after but gun was a dream to carry in the woods. Now I'll play around with it and zero it in at 100yds for my trip to Illinois. I replaced the breech plug with a CVA 209 one. I shot 110 grains (by volume) and a Barnes T-EZ 290 slug. Good Luck with your new gun..

Received my dnz mount and will be able to shoot this week :). Will mount my scope after work and maybe get out tomorrow if the weather permits.

Latest posts

Back