Copper or Lead

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the advice. It’s very much appreciated.
I know a PRB though the lungs will kill any Elk that ever lived. The question is…. How far will they travel while dead on their feet? Elk will run downhill when shot into the blackest, nastiest timber they can find. Been there, done that. Never again. Elk need to be anchored as much as possible. That means braking shoulders before, or after taking out vitals. Even then they can still travel a long distance.
In my opinion, a bullet that can’t break a shoulder before going through the lungs is not what I want to shoot any elk with. Big heavy lead will do that. I’m not sure if lighter copper will do the same thing. I guess that is how I should have asked the question .
G
Amen! The problem can be getting to the vitals on a big bull (especially on a hard quartering shot). And killing it, as you say, is only half the battle. Tracking and retrieving an elk in the mountains can be tough. Been there and done too that many times. Two holes are always better than one on an elk.

A 300 gr Thor (Barnes) will do the trick on elk but you will often not get an exit hole.

Sounds to me like a 300 gr Thor is a good option. I’m a believer in Barns bullets.This is actually the copper bullet I was considering. I’m assuming I’ll also get a flatter trajectory with the Thor.
I also have thought of a No Excuse 420 or 460 bullet. Lots of mass, and a flat Melplate to cause damage to soft tissue. Last Elk hunt, and only BP elk hunt. What would you do?
G

Sounds to me like a 300 gr Thor is a good option. I’m a believer in Barns bullets.This is actually the copper bullet I was considering. I’m assuming I’ll also get a flatter trajectory with the Thor.
I also have thought of a No Excuse 420 or 460 bullet. Lots of mass, and a flat Melplate to cause damage to soft tissue. Last Elk hunt, and only BP elk hunt. What would you do?
G
Ask me next year when I draw my CO muzzy elk tag with 25 points. 🤞🏻

Either will work. I’ve killed a bunch of elk with muzzies. I say it comes down to the terrain you’ll be hunting/how far your expected shots will likely be, how much recoil you want to deal with and how far you can effectively shoot with open sights. The 300 gr bullet will shoot flatter. But at close ranges that will be negligible - you’re only talking about roughly 3” difference at 150 and 9” difference at 200 (with a 100 yard zero). For expected shots within 150 yards I think I’d lean towards a big lead bullet. Maybe see how they shoot and then decide.

Rules are funny in Colorado....TAKE HEED to them...
https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf

1. IRON SIGHTS ONLY!!!!
2. NO PELLETS.
3. NO SABOTS
4. NO BREECH loaders.
5. NO Battery powered ANYTHING can be attached to the gun.

The above eliminates most all modern day muzzleloaders that people
want to hunt with, as well as gadgets that make muzzleloading easier
to use or simplifies things. Pellets...Scopes of any type...breech loaders.

Do NOT listen to ANY source other than the STATES rules and regs. Way
to much BS out there on the web that is 100 percent incorrect. This link is
from the state for the year 2024.

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE
See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.
A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except
as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise
provided by statute or these regulations:
1. Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at
least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet
weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards
from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the
manufacturer's rating, and except for mountain lion where any center-fire rifle using
bullets of at least 45 grains and producing at least 400 foot pounds of energy at the
muzzle may be used. Provided further that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold
more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle
is prohibited.
2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be
forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose when hunting with conical bullets and
fifty (.50) caliber when hunting with round ball bullets. The minimum caliber for elk and
moose shall be fifty (.50) when hunting with conical bullets and fifty-four (.54) when
hunting with round ball bullets.
All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from
forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in
weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber
must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by
muzzle-loading license holders.
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
moose the following additional restrictions apply:
1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and
smokeless powder are prohibited.
2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation
cloth patches are not sabots.
3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be
loaded from the breech are prohibited.
4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting
device other than open or “iron” sights is prohibited.
5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or
attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

Last edited:

1. IRON SIGHTS ONLY!!!!
2. NO PELLETS.
3. NO SABOTS
4. NO BREECH loaders.

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE
See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.
A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except
as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise
1. Rifles using center-fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at
least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet
weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards
from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the
manufacturer's rating, and except for mountain lion where any center-fire rifle using
bullets of at least 45 grains and producing at least 400 foot pounds of energy at the
muzzle may be used. Provided further that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold
more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle
is prohibited.
2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be
forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose when hunting with conical bullets and
fifty (.50) caliber when hunting with round ball bullets. The minimum caliber for elk and
moose shall be fifty (.50) when hunting with conical bullets and fifty-four (.54) when
forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in
weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
Good reminder for readers unfamiliar with the CO regs. Sounds like the OP is knowledgeable though.

1. IRON SIGHTS ONLY!!!!
2. NO PELLETS.
3. NO SABOTS
4. NO BREECH loaders.

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE
is prohibited.

Sounds like I'll not hunt there to many rules /hills to steep / good thing I like squirrels (light to pack)and lots of targets and they runout of breath high in trees at altitude ,so I've heard (short legs too)

Back