corrosion with triple seven?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Have there been any formal studies on the corrosiveness of triple seven?

How long can you carry a fouled rifle for hunting purposes without doing damage to a SS barrel?

Must you always pull the breech plug for cleaning during hunting season?

I would hate to experiment with my go-to gun only to damage the barrel.
I would appriciate your imput. :)

Spitpatch said:

How long can you carry a fouled rifle for hunting purposes without doing damage to a SS barrel?

I would appriciate your imput. :)

1) Yes, it is corrosive.

2) All day has never been a problem. The longer you go, the more exposure there is. Ambient conditions (humidity) variations means there can be no exact limit. You need to clean it at the end of the day to be on the safe side. You just have no way to know the "limit" in your gun under your hunting conditions until it is too late.

3) No, the breechplug does not need to be removed.

Hey Spit!

No..

I don't really know. It depends on the humidity. In low humidity enviroments such as Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Arizona, etc., I'd say a couple of days using Triple Se7en. MAYBE longer. In Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, etc I'd say you need to clean within 24 hours or so to be SURE.

I always have!

So would I! Rust is yes or no with no real warnings. The best advice is to OVER-clean and lube.

Thanks Chuck......The humidity issue sounds......sound. What about one of those finger rubbers.??.. :lol: you know the kind used for small fingers :shock: :lol: :lol: I saw them at Walmart yesterday in the office supply section. Shoot right through 'em?

big6x6 said:
Hey Spit!

No..

Hodgdon did just that, before releasing it for sale.

As for breechplugs, most forget the T/C Hawken has a removable breechplug-- and it is often fired with T7. Who has ever removed one?
:shock:

As for breechplugs, most forget the T/C Hawken has a removable breechplug-- and it is often fired with T7. Who has ever removed one?

But it is not recessed either. You can clean/lube the very end. You can also access it from the breech end with a Q-tip. Not so with a Knight breech plug!

You can certainly clean a Knight easy enough, and quite thoroughly "during hunting season" without removing a breechplug. Shoot it out at the end of the day, Birchwood Casey then Breakfree, dry patch and foul the bore the next morning. A quick 90 deg. crack and retighten of the breechplug, you are good to go for any week-long hunt.

If, by "hunting season," you mean 4 months-- well, sure, better cleaning can be done. "Season" is a long weekend in Illinois, out-of-state hunts are no more than 7-10 days. No need for me to completely strip it until I'm back home.

If it makes you feel better, well-- not a thing wrong with it. Birchwood Casey melts T 7 , Breakfree does a great job with the bore, and the breechplug is covered with Never-Seez. End of the day cleaning, sure. Have no idea what breechplug removal might get you during a 7-10 day hunt.

"Season" is a long weekend in Illinois, out-of-state hunts are no more than 7-10 days.

I'll buy that! Remember...my season last from October thru January! :?

I tested the best loads that shoot out of my Encore on a clean barrel. I clean the bore and oil it. Then when I am ready to shoot, I wipe out the oil, run a rubbing alcohol patch down it, give it a few minutes, and run a dry patch down it. I then shoot 3 caps and load. With that system, how long do you think I could leave it loaded before doing harm?

Doesn't the alcohol strip the metal a bit?

There is no reliable catch-all answer. May be Hodgdon can give you a better idea. My Encore won't shoot where I want it without a fouling shot.

You won't really know until it is too late. :cry:

Why would rubbing alcohol strip the metal? It is just used to get all the gun oil and moisture out. With this method my Encore will shoot excellent groups with 777. With pyrodex it requires a fouling shot. I wanted to be able to load the gun and go hunting without waking the whole neighborhood with the fouling shot. So I went through the whole process and completely cleaned the gun, wiped with alcohol, shot the 3 primers and loaded until I found a load that worked. (3) 777 pellets and a .45 or .44 300 grain deadcenter does the trick. :D I figured that with the pellets or loose powder setting in a clean barrel that it would not rust the barrel. I keep the gun in constent outside temps so it doesn't sweat. Don't know? I do wish that it was a stainless barrel though for extra protection.

Latest posts

Back