Coyote problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some very large coyotes here in upstate New York. Its not unusual to find there kills, as at night they are very vocal. Here is one from a few nights ago, we put a camera on it and here is one of the culprits. Looks like a male to me..View attachment 38851View attachment 38852View attachment 38853
Daggone you ain't a kiddin thats a huge friggin yote. Almost looks big enough for a wolf body in the pic.
We have plenty of them runnin round here but they aing big, but we do have some pretty lg Bobcats surprisingly. The carcass from the deer I shot a cpl wks ago got cleaned up good the first night. I showed A/C & we could tell that a cat had drug the carcass out of the woods into the grass along with the hide & licked the inside of the hide clean & cleaned the bones spotless. Huge diff from what it looks like from what yotes do. Time for a high velocity hole punch on some of them up there.

I see an occasional coyote while in the deer stand during the daytime but at a distance and they are always moving right along. Gut piles don't last a night.

We have a ton of them here in Maine.....it's tough, and up here, some have bred with Canadian wolves as well, so they're big!

We have some very large coyotes here in upstate New York. Its not unusual to find there kills, as at night they are very vocal. Here is one from a few nights ago, we put a camera on it and here is one of the culprits. Looks like a male to me..View attachment 38851View attachment 38852View attachment 38853

Daggone you ain't a kiddin thats a huge friggin yote. Almost looks big enough for a wolf body in the pic.
We have plenty of them runnin round here but they aing big, but we do have some pretty lg Bobcats surprisingly. The carcass from the deer I shot a cpl wks ago got cleaned up good the first night. I showed A/C & we could tell that a cat had drug the carcass out of the woods into the grass along with the hide & licked the inside of the hide clean & cleaned the bones spotless. Huge diff from what it looks like from what yotes do. Time for a high velocity hole punch on some of them up there.
I heard about 4 years ago , there was a bunch of hybrids. Part wolf , part coyote that were released. And that was a few years after Dec was releasing mountain lions in certain parts of ny. That’s probably why that coyote is big in picture above

Most northern coyotes have at least some wolf DNA. They will occasionally interbreed in the wild where their territories overlap. As you go farther south, the coyotes will have a higher percentage of domestic dog DNA, also from occasional interbreeding.

When out deer hunting I will hardly ever turn down a shot at a coyote. I’m talking more of a chip shot, not the long range Hail Mary. I realize, the few most of us shoot, have little effect on the population numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpeg
    IMG_0292.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 0
I will not pass on any shot on a coyote as long as i’m not low on ammo and have a safe backstop……

with a center fire rifle, I consider 500yds on a coyoye to be a chip shot (for me)….. 200 yds with my scoped contender pistol, and 150 yds with the knight disc or 44mag super blackhawk revolver.

I hunt a vineyard property where the main goal is deer population control. Since coyotes help with that we generally let them walk. That is, as long as they maintain a healthy respect (fear) of humans. A few years back the local pack got a little large and a little too bold so we took out about half to teach them some respect.

Latest posts

Back