cut a laminate stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I switched from a t/c omega plastic stock it was 29-/12 inches long.The new Boyds stock is 31-1/2 long making my Woodman 24; smi barrel look like a 2o gauge sawed off shot gun.How would I cut my Boyds stock down 2" with out it cracking or splitting.I have a chop saw that will make a straight cut.I do not like looking at my "stubby".The barrel only sticks out 3" from the stock.

I thought about getting a hold of Mark and see what he can do and perhaps put a muzzle brake on my Omega.That way it will be2" longer and look better.I hate the idea of cutting my stock,but will wait and see.

Wrap tight the area to be cut with a fabric type heavy duty duct tape to prevent brake-out of wood. Use a hollow ground planer blade & cut slow. Brace the stock while the cut is being made so no movement

I have done this kind of modification more times than I can count. The key is a good, SHARP carbide tip blade on a cut off saw. Place your stock forend top against the fence, making sure to keep the barrel channel true to the fence. That way you get a good square cut. I use tapered wedges to locate and brace the forend and clamp it to the fence. Be sure the stock is tightly held. I don’t know which Boyd’s configuration you have but sometimes a straight edge on the tapered wedge if required. Whenever I can I prefer the cut to go thru the forend and the wedge. Less,if any, chatter. You can cut the tip at an angle for different configurations. One use quite often combines a 45 degree toward the butt end. Then a 10 to 15 degree starting a short distance down from top of the first cut, angled toward the butt. Then finish by sanding in the cuts to blend with a slightly radiused point where the two tapers meet. Take your time. Make sure your set-ups are tight. Keep in mind that the laminate sands very easily. Also I usually only do this on Boyd’s stocks in their Satin finish. If you use Hunters Satin from Brownells Gun Sav’r spray, there will be no witness lines. Practice on another piece if you can. The configuration of the tip can be whatever you want.

I thought about getting a hold of Mark and see what he can do and perhaps put a muzzle brake on my Omega. That way it will be 2" longer and look better. I hate the idea of cutting my stock but will wait and see.
Yes, if your barrel came threaded with a Thread Protector Cap. Get the Muzzle Brake, your Shoulder will Thank You.

I went ahead and took the plunge.I out the woodman 45 omega barel and put it all back on the stock t/c omega plastic stock.It fit okay and looked pretty good.But I did not like the feel of the plastic stock.Sooo,Took it all apart and stood the t/c stock beside the Boyds stock and marked the Boyds stock where the length of the factory stock ened.Have a chop saw so I thought I would give it a shot.I taped up the Boyds stock and laid it ram rod channel on the base of the saw.Then c-clamped it in place.Hit the trigger on the saw and in less than 5 seconds it was cut 1 1/2 shorter.Hey,hey no splinters or cracks.So I put it all back toghether on the Woodman barrel and Boyds stock.It sure looks better and feels better in my hands.Not as unbalanced as it felt before.Now instead of looking like a 20 gauge sawed off shot gun,it looks like they were made to go together.Talk about being nervous cutting down the Boyds stock,but now it is nice to look at.I sanded down the end of the stock,worked it with 000 steel wool then finished it off with gun oil on the steel wool and put a darker finish on it.Looks fantastic!! :woohoo:

I do not have the know how to post from phone to computer to the forum.Out of my realm of knowledge.At 72 technical know how is bit of a challenge.
Don’t worry about it, you aren’t missing much! I’m 74 and sometimes wish I didn’t know how.

Latest posts

Back