CVA Accura LRX 45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where do I start???
I have been down this rabbit hole for months weighting out the pros and cons on this rifle. What ended up selling me on this was CUSTOMER SERVICE! Muzzle-Loader.com has the best customer service that I have had the pleasure of dealing with in years. My major concern was the barrel issues that some are having with this rifle. I wanted the newest rifle they had in stock to try and stay away from the problem in hopes that Bergera had fixed the problem. After speaking with CS (Colten) he willingly offered to pull the newest rifle they had to calm my nerves. I received my package today, rifle, scope and a double handful of goodies to get me started with this new rifle. And to my surprise and attention to detail led me to the packing tape on the outside of the box (Romans 5:8). Now, rifle is clean, powder is measured and I’m excited to see what this thing will do tomorrow. Thank you to this community for keeping MLs’ alive.

Well after a short range session this morning I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get this one to shoot. Smackdown 200gn with 71gn BH printed a 1/2” group at 100. This was the very first group I shot out of the rifle. Knowing that I bought this rifle for a LR rifle I moved to the 285gn PB ELR with 77gn BH and shot a 2” group at 100yrds. I dropped back to 73gn BH and shot a 1.5” group. Then the wind ran me off the range. Once I get these 1” or under I will move to 200 and so on. The work has started.

Well after a short range session this morning I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to get this one to shoot. Smackdown 200gn with 71gn BH printed a 1/2” group at 100. This was the very first group I shot out of the rifle. Knowing that I bought this rifle for a LR rifle I moved to the 285gn PB ELR with 77gn BH and shot a 2” group at 100yrds. I dropped back to 73gn BH and shot a 1.5” group. Then the wind ran me off the range. Once I get these 1” or under I will move to 200 and so on. The work has started.
IMG_6791.jpeg

If I were you I'd stick with the 200 gr Smackdowns and try other bullets with higher BC in that weight range. The ELRs I shot out of my .45 shot horribly as well in my CVA Scout SML conversion but the 300 gr Shockwaves and SSTs and 325 FTXs shot under 1" (group looks just like yours - 3 just about touching in a neat cloverleaf.) However your twist rate is 1:22 where my Scout's is 1:20.

If I were you I'd stick with the 200 gr Smackdowns and try other bullets with higher BC in that weight range. The ELRs I shot out of my .45 shot horribly as well in my CVA Scout SML conversion but the 300 gr Shockwaves and SSTs and 325 FTXs shot under 1" (group looks just like yours - 3 just about touching in a neat cloverleaf.) However your twist rate is 1:22 where my Scout's is 1:20.
I will definitely take that advice! After I loaded one of the PB I was walking to the bench and the bullet fell out of the barrel!!!! I’m not going to risk that on a hunt. This is the first ones I have ever shot out of any rifle and they seem to me to be the weak link in my system. So I’m definitely looking for suggestions on a high BC bullet. Hurry up, Thor, Hornady. LOL Have you shot the PR Dead center bullets?

Woodie, the ELRs are very pointed and they get stuck in the recess of the jag unless the jag isn't designed for them. When you pull out the jag the bullet pulls off the skirt. The same thing happened to me only the bullet was still in the jag. Some put a piece of cotton in the jag to keep that from happening.

Woodie, the ELRs are very pointed and they get stuck in the recess of the jag unless the jag isn't designed for them. When you pull out the jag the bullet pulls off the skirt. The same thing happened to me only the bullet was still in the jag. Some put a piece of cotton in the jag to keep that from happening.
Great fix, I’ll add the end of a Qtip. Have you shot the Dead centers?

Great fix, I’ll add the end of a Qtip. Have you shot the Dead centers?
Just the cotton, not the stick. The package of ELRs come with a loading tip but when I tried it the thing only lasted one bullet. I had kept it on the ramrod and it blew off on the shot. What good are they for hunting if you have to keep it in your pocket or wherever and put it on if you would need to reload? And no I've never tried Dead Centers.

So I had some time before dark this afternoon and got one 3 shot group in. I took your advice and ran the Smack downs to the max 77gn BH and they printed under 1/2”!!! The first was at 71gn BH at a 1/2” now all three are cutting the same hole. So I have definitely locked in on this load. I’m fixing to start stretching it out.

So I had some time before dark this afternoon and got one 3 shot group in. I took your advice and ran the Smack downs to the max 77gn BH and they printed under 1/2”!!! The first was at 71gn BH at a 1/2” now all three are cutting the same hole. So I have definitely locked in on this load. I’m fixing to start stretching it out.
Great...what kind of glass do you have on the rifle? I'm curious.

1 to 1.5 inches I tell ya must be my age or eye sight, I used to drive for 1 to 1.5 inch groups that was the only acceptable, today I am tickled if I get 2 inches at 100 yards totally acceptable respectable I calls it a day pops a La Croix kick back put my feet up, If I just hit a target hahahhaahhahahhaah then again I am no longer competing, 2 inches at a shoulder at 100 yards is a total grocery getter.

1 to 1.5 inches I tell ya must be my age or eye sight, I used to drive for 1 to 1.5 inch groups that was the only acceptable, today I am tickled if I get 2 inches at 100 yards totally acceptable respectable I calls it a day pops a La Croix kick back put my feet up, If I just hit a target hahahhaahhahahhaah then again I am no longer competing, 2 inches at a shoulder at 100 yards is a total grocery getter.
I haven’t competed since the early 90’s and that age thing is catching us all! LoL I just need this one in case of a long distance shot on an out of state hunt. I’ll probably do all this load work then kill at 25yrds🤣

So as I sit here and reflect on the day of shooting. 3/4” at 200yrds with PB ELR on a dirty bore is what she likes! I AM NOT GOING TO SAY THE CHARGE BUT IT WAS WITH BH powder. Please remember when getting a new ML YOU have to do the work. Baseline knowledge is great and the guys on here have forgotten more than I will ever know. Thank you MM for the knowledge!! She’s ready to step to 300yrds.
IMG_6832.jpegIMG_6833.jpeg

After going back through my notes it was 110gn by volume and for this new jug of BH 80gn by weight. I was surprised by the difference in weight from jug to jug. My last jug weighed out at 110v = 77gn.

For groups like that, it's all relevant.

Latest posts

Back