Do You Hunt With A Clean Barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENCORE50A said:
Never had a problem with BH fouling in a SS T/C barrel while leaving it loaded for two weeks.
Do what you feel is necessary for you and your rifle.

Me either in my SS Knight MHC...Actually left it fouled for three weeks this past year. Cleaned up with no issues.

I usually hunt with a clean barrel that is primer fouled the night before the hunt. I have on occasion been able to shoot a round or 2 the day before and when I did I just swabbed it and reloaded for the hunt and never worried about it at all. I used to shoot nothing but Pyrodex and my bores are still like new. I have do use some BH now and would do the same thing. So far my POI is close enough (clean vs Fouled) that it never mattered at the ranges I normally get.

I hunt on clean also. I do experience a slight flyer on a couple of my rifles...but not enough at the ranges I hunt to make a difference. I do plan to try the lock ease at some point, haven't had much chance to shoot lately.

halloflin said:
Fouled with two primers before I load.

Weren't you experimenting with Graphite?
So are the two primer-foulings sitting atop the dry-swabbed graphite?

GoexBlackhorn said:
halloflin said:
Fouled with two primers before I load.

Weren't you experimenting with Graphite?
So are the two primer-foulings sitting atop the dry-swabbed graphite?

Yes, Did with one Knight and the first shot was 4" high. The second dead on. I fired two primers on top of graphite then loaded. The other Knight just two primers.

Lockease before heading to the range, at the range fire 2 primers and load bh 209, shoot. Good results.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
Lockease before heading to the range, at the range fire 2 primers and load bh 209, shoot. Good results.

Lockease - then both sides of a dry patch??..... then fire two primers?
Or No?

I use a damp patch of lockease, no dry patches. Let dry approximately 15 mins, fire 2 primers then load and shoot.

herschel conyers said:
I use a damp patch of lockease, no dry patches. Let dry approximately 15 mins, fire 2 primers then load and shoot.

Then what herschel?
Reload without touching the barrel?
Dry-swab b/4 shot #2?

If you reload, how many shots fired before you swab the bore (or reapply)?

Shooting bh209 I swab after 12- 15 shots. Clean breech plug after 5 to 7 shots. The only time I use lockease is before the first shot, it seems to semi foul the barrel.

This thread has gave me a lot to chew on. Am going to site in my old bk92 to scope etc are still sited this coming weekend. I'll try to put some pics up of the paper.

I also hunt with a clean barrel. The only thing I do is prior to loading I swab the bore to remove any residual oil in the bore. But all my muzzys are sighted in with a clean barrel. Sighting in using a clean barrel is pretty time consuming though. It requires taking your first shot then thoroughly cleaning the bore for each additional shot. This also allows plenty of time to let the barrel cool.
But come hunting season I don't have to worry about keeping it loaded the entire hunting season without worrying about corrosion because there is still a minute amount of oil on the bore or, if its a PRB the patch lube is in the bore.

Relatively new to muzzleloaders and new guy here so forgive my ignoramous, but do you have the same POI issues with cold/clean bores on ML as with CF? My MLs shoot about an 1-1.5" at 100 yards minute of deer anyway. I use the pellets though. Haven't started experimenting with loose powder yet.

I am familiar with and map my cold bores with all my CF rifles, but those are long range rigs.

Shane

Back