Dragging deer - best way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
last year I had to drag a medium sized buck about 1500 yards out of the woods. It was a ton of work and I can’t help but think I was working harder NOT smarter.

Does anyone have any tricks? I would like to hunt even farther in and greatly prefer to NOT bring a sled or some devise into the woods. Should I try a tarp? This is the north east where it’s quite rocky and hilly.

I have used a dragging harness before and it did a good job i think. I'm usually grabbing a leg or antler and dragging if its not too far. Way back on public I try to hunt off logging road beds or access roads, If im close to those then a Deer cart is a complete life saver. I've walked almost 2miles back to the truck to get it just cause its that much easier. Typically anymore ill stash it somewhere on the way in, can take a cable lock with you and lock it on a tree as well for added security.
Unfortunately in the rocks and hilly country the best bet would probably be the "drag harness"

last year I had to drag a medium sized buck about 1500 yards out of the woods. It was a ton of work and I can’t help but think I was working harder NOT smarter.

Does anyone have any tricks? I would like to hunt even farther in and greatly prefer to NOT bring a sled or some devise into the woods. Should I try a tarp? This is the north east where it’s quite rocky and hilly.
Hunt high and park low. I hunt a ridge that's got sidehills at about a 50 degree grade and relatively clean understory. Once they get going its not much work at all, except for getting them in the vehicle.

I use a deer cart. Way easier than dragging.
Do you keep it at your vehicle or pack it in? I have a spot in mind thats about a 30 minute hike one way, I’d prefer not to make a bunch of laps.

Also I’d like to try tracking a buck this season I have no idea how far away from the truck I’ll get.

Do you keep it at your vehicle or pack it in? I have a spot in mind thats about a 30 minute hike one way, I’d prefer not to make a bunch of laps.

Also I’d like to try tracking a buck this season I have no idea how far away from the truck I’ll get.
I keep the cart in the truck. If I shoot one, I'll go back to the truck and drop off my gear, stand and stuff.
Eat a snack then head back with the cart.
I don't hunt as far back as I used to anymore. Today, a half mile in is about it.
In the old days, when i hunted far, I would bring the cart with. Tie all my stuff on it going in. Stash it near my treestand. Kinda slower going bringing it in though but sometimes well worth the time.
Today, I'm not in a hurry, (retired). As long as it's not too warm out.

I keep the cart in the truck. If I shoot one, I'll go back to the truck and drop off my gear, stand and stuff.
Eat a snack then head back with the cart.
I don't hunt as far back as I used to anymore. Today, a half mile in is about it.
In the old days, when i hunted far, I would bring the cart with. Tie all my stuff on it going in. Stash it near my treestand. Kinda slower going bringing it in though but sometimes well worth the time.
Today, I'm not in a hurry, (retired). As long as it's not too warm out.
I like how you put that in perspective, not being in a hurry. I feel like im always rushing myself along, slow and steady wins the race. Great advice. I need to start putting that to practice.

I keep a harness in my pack and it works pretty well on bare ground as long as it’s mostly downhill, snow makes it way easier.
There’s a thing called a deer sleigher that’s like one of those roll up sleds we had as kids, it’s super slippery and you kind of lash the deer into it. Much easier to drag on bare ground.
I’ve used jet sleds, and they work pretty well.
Lastly, I’ve got a Cabelas deer cart but I’ve only used it once and that was when I had to move a deer a half mile down a gravel road that vehicles weren’t allowed on.
A harness combined with a deer sleigher are my favorite combination.

Do a search for "Glenn's Deer Handle," it basically looks like a ski rope with the line forming a loop that you loop around either a buck's antlers and forelegs or a doe's neck and forelegs.

It works very well, much better than the standard deer drag strap that is pretty common. The way the line is attached to the handle's ends, you get a lot of torque/mechanical advantage to maneuver the deer around and over obstacles and even into a truck bed.

I am not sure if they are still made but you can easily make your own with just a 10' length of rope and a 1" sapling stick, maybe a foot long. Attach the rope to both ends of the stick (not in the middle) and you have the same effect.

Attachments

• 1698673503535.png
    1698673503535.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1698674229283.png
    1698674229283.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back