Dragging deer - best way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly...or one of the roll up, plastic deer drag sleds.
I've used the hard plastic toboggan kid sleds. I just drilled holes around the edges to tie the deer to it. I found it worked better than the plastic roll-up sleds. It's just a little more awkward carrying it in if you have to go a long distance, but they are light enough.

I'm getting a little bit old and dragging deer is getting harder but that's where my 15yr old son comes into play! Actually for the last few years I've been using my riding mower to get em out! Just have to drag em out of the woods first!

Well I'm a 5' 4" 140 lb guy and dragged the majority of my kills - often 3 at a time - by my lonesome. Had help on 3 or 4 of them but scores more Finished up my day. I did find out how easy it was to a teenager to do most of the work when available.

Both of our deer went down the steep side of the jill we hunt and ended up within 6 or 7 yards of the road. Easy drag from there.

last year I had to drag a medium sized buck about 1500 yards out of the woods. It was a ton of work and I can’t help but think I was working harder NOT smarter.

Does anyone have any tricks? I would like to hunt even farther in and greatly prefer to NOT bring a sled or some devise into the woods. Should I try a tarp? This is the north east where it’s quite rocky and hilly.

Not sure if Walmart still sells these "Shoulder sling strap" with metal eyelet and rope attached. Pulled plenty of deer with that body sling over one shoulder and below the other arm. It's never easy getting them out unless you have a set of wheels or a sled, but that shoulder sling worked well for me.

got real tired of dragging deer a long time ago
I built sort of a travoy out of tubing and a bicycle tire
I also have a cart made for that specifically
however now a days I just load them on my tractor
that dragging gets old real fast

Used my Jet Sled yesterday. Not a heavy buck, about 150 dressed, 9 points, but way back in the woods. No roads or skid trails nearby. This 71 year old did it all by myself. Hardest part was getting the sled from the ground to the truck bed. I had to back up to a blow down log and hump it in. Going to the meat cutter today, too warm to hang outside. Tenderloins tonite and heart tomorrow.
Just happy to be able to do it still. Makes me stay in shape all year just for the opportunity to hunt these incredible animals.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 1
Used my Jet Sled yesterday. Not a heavy buck, about 150 dressed, 9 points, but way back in the woods. No roads or skid trails nearby. This 71 year old did it all by myself. Hardest part was getting the sled from the ground to the truck bed. I had to back up to a blow down log and hump it in. Going to the meat cutter today, too warm to hang outside. Tenderloins tonite and heart tomorrow.
Just happy to be able to do it still. Makes me stay in shape all year just for the opportunity to hunt these incredible animals.
That's a dandy deer. Nice work! And that sled looks like it makes things a tad easier on those bones. I'm 73 and relied on gravity this fall to get one of my deer down off the hill I hunt. A wheeler fetched the other.

Nice buck! Great job getting that deer out of the back woods. Keep up the tradition!

Latest posts

Back