Dragging deer - best way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used my Jet Sled yesterday. Not a heavy buck, about 150 dressed, 9 points, but way back in the woods. No roads or skid trails nearby. This 71 year old did it all by myself. Hardest part was getting the sled from the ground to the truck bed. I had to back up to a blow down log and hump it in. Going to the meat cutter today, too warm to hang outside. Tenderloins tonite and heart tomorrow.
Just happy to be able to do it still. Makes me stay in shape all year just for the opportunity to hunt these incredible animals.
Use my jet sled a lot, and combine it with a cheap shoulder harness with a D ring to attach to the sled rope.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hun...VQTStBh1_6QgiEAQYAiABEgIbdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have used truck, tractor, garden tractor, motor cycle, snow mobile, boat, 4 wheeler, carts and motorized carts, and many carried on a pole.
You have to use what you've got.
Make it easy on your self!

I use Glenns deer handle sometimes a 6ft plastic sled like 4stringdude posted. Also with 2 guys a pole works good i use this method to get them out of creek beds. My best method is a cell phone call to the young guys! good luck.
text:, “bambi down, come help”….. she used location in life360 to go to my phone location while I did the cleaning.
IMG_7991.jpeg

We have used heavy plastic sheets with grommets for lashing and pulling for years before the deer sleighr came out. The deer sleighr was an improvement and I have used mine for both deer and bear. Fits through thick stuff and over down logs better than jet sleds IMO. A dream to pull on snow. I carry a short length of rope with a slip loop on one end and a short saw in my fanny pack... I use the saw to cut a short pulling stick.

I'd get the smaller deer sleighr unless you need to drag a bear...they are big enough and the deers hind legs hanginging out the back don't affect dragging much if at all.

There just simply is no magic bullet for dragging deer out of thick timber. There is only difficult and more difficult when you are alone. Other than quartering in the field, it is simply going to be a rough process. I have used countless methods over the years and depending on the terrain I have found the Hawk Crawler to be the best cart out there. Hawk also makes a deer Cinch which works well on smaller to average size deer for dragging, but not so well for those 200 lb plus bucks. Having more than yourself is the best way if a vehicle isn't a possibility.

Right. Just sure as heck there'll be such a thing as the weight being unevenly distributed and the sled goes to that side and I end up having to buy a taillight. lol

Backpacks and two sons. Drag with the hair if we have too. Only if we have too with some rope made into a makeshift harness

Latest posts

Back