Elk bullets at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I get past the QLA problem is to put a 3/4 inch felt wad on top the powder and put 120 gr by volume of corn meal on top of that then put the bullet in. This seals the bore until the bullet has a chany to exit and keeps the propelent gas from disturbing the bullet.

Lee 9 said:
The way I get past the QLA problem is to put a 3/4 inch felt wad on top the powder and put 120 gr by volume of corn meal on top of that then put the bullet in. This seals the bore until the bullet has a chance to exit and keeps the propellant gas from disturbing the bullet.

Wow! That shortened your barrel by at least 3"..... right?
Plus all the wildlife birds in the immediate area got a free toasted corn meal supper. :partyman:

Lee 9 said:
The way I get past the QLA problem is to put a 3/4 inch felt wad on top the powder and put 120 gr by volume of corn meal on top of that then put the bullet in. This seals the bore until the bullet has a chany to exit and keeps the propelent gas from disturbing the bullet.

The QLA shouldn't be much more than an 1" long so just enough to make up that length might work. However, I would think the conical would need to be the flat base type versus one with a skirt that requires the burning powder to expand it into the rifling.

jcb - did you ever contact TC for their recommendation about the issue?

txhunter58 said:
I would at least jump to the 338 platinum bullets for elk and like Muley, I used the bigger ones when I used PBs for elk (405 and 444).

Every single powerbelt is a soft lead bullet. The copper and "platinum" have a thin copper/"platinum" plating on the outside to protect the lead from the barrel and the blast. If you push ANY of them too fast, they will break up and you won't get good penetration. The reason the platinum may hold up better is not because of the platinum, but because it has a smaller hollowpoint.

Pretty sure the platinum coating is still copper. They found a way to make it a different color just like the Aerolite is black. All are a copper coating. Platinum would be extremely expensive to use.

You would think the smaller hollowpoint would help them from breaking up, but i've read many times from users that they break up too.

Personally, i'd find a way to get the NoExcuses working. They were really accurate in my last Renegade with a 1-48 twist, and are accurate in inlines with a 1-28 twist. So, they don't seem to be very fussy about twist.

Must be the bullet test was over looked by some.The 300 grain Power belt was shot through a 2x6 and then into a pail of sand.The bullet mushroomed out nice and held together.From the looks of that Power Belt it will be fine.I will weight the bullet just to see how much weight it lost going through the 2x6 and into the pail of sand

If you're hunting for 2x6's you'll be fine. A PRB will shoot through a 2x6.

Use the 300gr. It may do fine. It may fail too, and you'll think about this thread if it does.

Muley Hunter said:

Use the 300gr. It may do fine. It may fail too, and you'll think about this thread if it does.

I will be sure to get with you with all the results and any changes that we make .

jcb said:
Muley Hunter said:

I will be sure to get with you with all the results and any changes that we make .I feel its important to keep internet know it alls imformed

I don't think that's it at all. Power Belts have a HORRIBLE reputation for failing, and folks here are just trying to help you pick a setup that has a high(er) probability of success. A board and sand isn't an elk. Not saying the bullet won't work, heck it might perfectly. BUT... given that PB's provide unreliable performance at best, coupled with the fact that a 300g version of that bullet may be a little light for the game you are after... you might want to at least consider other options. Seems like you'd want to put the odds in your favor when going on a hunt like that. Good luck.

jcb said:
Must be the bullet test was over looked by some.The 300 grain Power belt was shot through a 2x6 and then into a pail of sand.The bullet mushroomed out nice and held together.From the looks of that Power Belt it will be fine.I will weight the bullet just to see how much weight it lost going through the 2x6 and into the pail of sand

A shoulder bone of an elk is definitely harder than a 2x6 and sand. Slip it between ribs and you will be fine. I am not that accurate at all times, so I like to use a bigger and/or tougher bullet.

The other thing I did before I cut the QLA off my Omega was to make a modified "powerbelt" like bullet. I used a big flat based lead conical like the no excuse but under it I put a base of a sabot with the petals cut off. That seemed to lock the gases behind the bullet better. However, the sub bases mentioned above are fairly cheap and should provide the same function. Bullets like the proven no excuse are cheaper than powerbelts. Worth a look?

Im sorry I posted that to muley hunter i was out of line.I know everyone is trying to help.

I will talk to my son so he can try the 444 grain Power Belts of of his Encore.

I will be using the 460 grain No Excuses out of my BigHorn and I will get wads to put under the bullet or cut the petals of some of my Hornady green sabots and put the base of that under the bullet.

jcb,

Your going to get plenty of opinions, suggestions and sometimes first hand knowledge of the issue. After you read the replies you have to try and decide what's good for you. Use the bullet, rifle, powder or primer that your comfortable with and have confidence in regardless of what you read. Reason being, every rifle is different. What works in one rifle may not work exactly the same for you. Sometimes it takes many days at the range to get the load your rifle likes and shoots constantly.

Ray.............. :yeah:

GOOD LUCK :!: :!: :!:

Try shooting the same bullets again with lighter powder loads. 85-95 grns and see how it groups.

Our bullets choices have been made for the hunt.I will be shooting the 460 grain No Excuse bullets and my son will be shooting the 300 grain Power Belt platanum. My bullets shoot 2.5 Inch at 100 yards and my sons bullets shoot to 1.5"

I hope the 300 works too. I'm guessing the 338 gr. was unavailable at your local stores.

If you are going to use a PowerBelt on elk, the 444 grain flat point is the ONLY one worth considering. Do not use any hollow point, or polymer tipped hollow point PowerBelt bullet on elk and expect good results. I have witnessed a failure at 28 yards on a real nice bull that we called in. The bullet obviously blew up and never entered the body cavity. The guy never had a problem with that load on whitetail, but elk are not whitetail. They have about 4-5 times the mass than a whitetail, which includes all the bones.

The hollow pointed Great Plains bullets or Any hollow pointed hollow based bullets are a poor choice, IMO. I like the Hornady FPB for deer, but would not be my choice for elk, even though I know guys that have great success with them on elk.

Personally, I would find a different rifle to hunt with that will shoot a No Excuses/Bull Shop/White Power Punch (Super Slug), than to hunt elk with any PowerBelt other than the 444 grain flat point.

If you're lucky, you may get one opportunity, you need to make it count. If you are going to be calling in bull elk in dark timber, they usually come in straight at you or slightly quartering to, you need a bullet that is capable of breaking bone at close range if need be. I have shot a slightly quartering to bull elk through the big heavy ball and socket in the front shoulder with a 435 grain White Super Slug. Took out both lungs and the plumbing off the top of the heart. No way any hollow pointed Power Belt/Great Plains/Buffalo Bullet would have ever made it into the chest cavity, at least not in one piece. Maybe some small fragments?

Question for some of you that do hunt in the western states that don't allow sabots. Would it be legal to shoot a Jacketed Bullet or a solid copper bullet Sabotless? Such as Knurled bullets and maybe use a wad or sub base under them? Seems like it would.

Some (if not most states) do allow sabotless jacketed bullets. Utah for example does not IIRC. I think they require a all lead bullet during the ML seasons.

I would recommend trying the 444gr or 405gr PB flat points too for elk. They are usually much cheaper than the Plats.

GM54-120 said:
Some (if not most states) do allow sabotless jacketed bullets. Utah for example does not IIRC. I think they require a all lead bullet during the ML seasons.

I would recommend trying the 444gr or 405gr PB flat points too for elk. They are usually much cheaper than the Plats.
Thanks, Was curious about that.

Back