Factory ammo vs reloads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
In reloading .270 Winchester and shooting, Ive found that my handloads are shooting approx 2" low and 3" to the right of factory ammo. I am getting tighter groups but I am curious as to why the factory ammo shoots so much higher. I reload 130 gr bullets with Barnes TSX and Nosler BTs and for the most part they are grouping together. Ive shot Winchester brand 150 gr and Remington CL 130 gr and they are both high and to the right. I do not have a chronograph but I would suspect that my handloads are also travelling at a higher velocity ( 58 grains of Hodgdons H4831) versus the factory ammo. Does anyone have any similar experiences or explanations?

Happens all the time. Different loads set up different harmonic vibrations in the barrel.

Rifleman said:
Happens all the time. Different loads set up different harmonic vibrations in the barrel.

Yup. And if you shot 2 different kinds of factory ammo you'd likely also get different points of impact.

Latest posts

Back