First Experience with Hornady Great Plaines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a does this morning with a TC Omega, 100 grains of Triple 7 powder (2 pellets) and Hornady Great Plaines 50 cal. The result was interesting.
She was standing 5-7 yards (correction: measured now and was 12 yards) from my blind and I hit her right in the pumping station. Even I can hit the right spot at that distance.

Several points of interest:
- I blood trailed and found her almost 100 yards away. This is odd because of what i found.
- Imediate lung blood then the blood was smaller drops and hard to follow
- Her lungs were torn in half
- The bullet passed through breaking ribs on both sides.

Just food for thought. Fun facts to know and tell.

Attachments

• 20221210_115139.jpg
    13.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20221210_115136.jpg
    17.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've killed a lot of deer over the years, both with arrows and bullets.
It never ceases to amaze me how tough deer are.
Sometimes they'll be DRT, or they will run a country mile.

Those darned deer can do some amazing stuff after a perfect hit. Congrats on the take!

A major shock to the central nervous system is the only thing that drops them on the spot every time. Legs cant move if it cant get the signal from the brain. Any shot with major brain or spinal trauma and the legs just collapse under them.

Ive seen deer with a perfect heart shot run 60 yards. Heart looked like a bomb went off in it but the deer still ran.

Note the rib damage. Plenty of bone was broken.
Ribs don't rattle em like breaking the humerus or humerus/scapula joint.

Not saying it was a bad shot at all. Just what I have noticed in my killing of probably close to 50 whitetails.

Last edited:
A major shock to the central nervous system is the only thing that drops them on the spot every time. Legs cant move if it cant get the signal from the brain. Any shot with major brain or spinal trauma and the legs just collapse under them.

Ive seen deer with a perfect heart shot run 60 yards. Heart looked like a bomb went off in it but the deer still ran.
Heart shots can run farther than lung shots. They can still breathe and go on oxygenated blood until the fuel tank is empty.

Breath all you want but without blood to take the oxygen to the tissue and organs its useless.

No blood no oxygen...No lungs no oxygen.....no difference to the tissue that needs it

Sometimes deer just say “nope, im outta here” or their deer instinct version of it. Heres a pic that shows how tough deer can be.
075C49BB-419D-4171-A5DF-44FA37C3E399.jpeg
This deer didnt die from the arrow thru its neck, im told, but was shot during rifle season.
No Pic yet but the deer i shot yesterday has an arrow stuck in its back on the hip. Ran like nothing wrong at all.

Good afternoon to all...

I will add my .02USD. I revamped my "ORIGINAL" Model 700 Rem ML this year. Installed the fine bolt/breech upgrade from Badger Ridge, a new stock from Boyd's and a 2.5lb Timney trigger.

I tried the 240gr Hornady XTP and black MMP sabot combo. After experimenting with 80 to 100gr by volume of BH 209 the best I could get was 1.75in at 50yds. Puzzled, I went back to the drawing board. I tried the 370gr TC maxiball and my groups shrank. On a whim, I went and bought a pack of 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullets.

This time I used 85grV BH 209, a wool felt bore button and topped it off with the Hornady GPB. At 50yds, I shot 1 ragged hole. Went to 100yds and I have a legimate 1in group with all holes touching.

So far both deer taken at 23 and 54yds have been DRT shots. I personally aim at the top 1/3 area of the shoulder. The energy transfer after hitting the scapula, lungs and resulting energy that slaps against the spine that runs low in that area, produces a "lights out" effect. I've used this same shot placement for decades and have never lost a deer. They simply drop on the spot or IF they do move they do so within line of sight. Although I've taken several deer with TC Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunter bullets, these Hornady .385gr bullets are dispatch deer in my original Rem ML like nothing else thus far. I have also yet to recover either bullet from each deer. Also, for $15 for 20 bullets that is a bonus for a working guy like me. 5 star rating from me.
Shadowfox64

Attachments

• 20221113_092702.jpg
    20221113_092702.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_102615.jpg
    20221124_102615.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Sometimes deer just say “nope, im outta here” or their deer instinct version of it. Heres a pic that shows how tough deer can be.
View attachment 28669
This deer didnt die from the arrow thru its neck, im told, but was shot during rifle season.
No Pic yet but the deer i shot yesterday has an arrow stuck in its back on the hip. Ran like nothing wrong at all.
Two reason why I "dislike severely" bow hunting. For every animal taken cleanly, if you call bleeding to death clean, there are several that are wounded and suffering. Pls no disclaimers otherwise, Look at the pic, its all the proof a normal person needs!

Two reason why I "dislike severely" bow hunting. For every animal taken cleanly, if you call bleeding to death clean, there are several that are wounded and suffering. Pls no disclaimers otherwise, Look at the pic, its all the proof a normal person needs!

That’s why I practice, tune my bow, and compete in archery all year long. If I don’t shoot weekly I’m not at my best. Too many yahoos treat a bow like a rifle and only bust it out a couple weeks before season. Paper plate accuracy is not good enough, and only practicing from the ground is not good enough. The deer I have shot with a bow thankfully have not gone far.

Archery is a lifestyle not a hunting season. If a hunter can’t get on board with that then they should get a cross bow, or stick to rifles.

That’s why I practice, tune my bow, and compete in archery all year long. If I don’t shoot weekly I’m not at my best. Too many yahoos treat a bow like a rifle and only bust it out a couple weeks before season. Paper plate accuracy is not good enough, and only practicing from the ground is not good enough. The deer I have shot with a bow thankfully have not gone far.

Archery is a lifestyle not a hunting season. If a hunter can’t get on board with that then they should get a cross bow, or stick to rifles.
Both make valid points. Archery is a lot of work that many cant commit enough time to.

Both make valid points. Archery is a lot of work that many cant commit enough time to.
And to be fair, every year i hunted(penna.) the first day of hunting season sounded like Omaha Beach! Every yahoo who had not been in the woods all year, suddenly becomes a hunter for a day or two!! Most can't hit anything past 10 yds! They take garbage shots, shoot at running deer etc. We used to just go and sit behind a large blow down ,to protect our backs , and wait. Usually in a day or two the yahoos left, and only the real hunters remained. Your mileage may differ!!!

Latest posts

Back